PDA

View Full Version : I believe the following is not a good idea

macklin
20th September 2007, 03:44 PM
I have 2 anti virus programs, avira antivir and avg free edition. I have been told this not not a good idea.

1 why is it not good idea

2 if it is not, which one should I get rid of.

3 I was under the impression the more anti virus programs you have the better the chance of finding them.

thank you

PS I also have spy bot search and destroy

windowa xp with service pack 2

wheelinround
20th September 2007, 04:05 PM
The main reason is resources both running along side can also cause problems as they can over look simple things.

you can use microsofts defender basic edition for free http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

it is hungry whe doing a scan though.

macklin
20th September 2007, 04:15 PM
thank you for your quick response

have taken note of your suggestion

john macklin

Barry_White
20th September 2007, 04:45 PM
I have 2 anti virus programs, avira antivir and avg free edition. I have been told this not not a good idea.

1 why is it not good idea

3 I was under the impression the more anti virus programs you have the better the chance of finding them.

thank you

PS I also have spy bot search and destroy

windowa xp with service pack 2

As Wheelin say about them being resource hungry but also running two together can cause conflicts.

I have used AVG but the problem is that it wants to scan everyday.

I use Kaspersky antivirus on two computers but that is a paid one and it is excellent and only does a scan of critical areas each day and does not affect the performance of the computer.

http://www.kaspersky.com/

On the third computer I use a free one called Avast which I find also excellent.

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

munruben
20th September 2007, 05:26 PM
Get rid of both of them and download Avast free edition. It's one of the best. Definitely better than AVG and you can run it manually when you want to.

Ianab
20th September 2007, 05:52 PM
AVG schedules a scan every day as it's default setting. You can go into the control screen / scheduled tasks and turn this scan off or change the time.

2 antivirus programs is generally a bad thing if they are both doing real time scans. Your computer will either be slow as the scanners both try and scan the same file at the same time, or you will get error messages when they aren't able to. I imagine when AVG is doing a full scan and the other antivir is also scanning every file it opens the machine must be a bit of a slug :C

I would stick with AVG, have generally had good results from it. I dont know the other one, so I cant comment how good it is.

The antispyware scanners should not cause a problem as they dont run in the background, only when you do a scan. Therefore they dont bog the machine down when they aren't running.

Cheers

Ian

Big Shed
20th September 2007, 09:48 PM
Latest issue of PC Authority (or was it PC World) did a test on antivirus programs. Predictably Norton came in for a caning, AVG rated pretty well, but Antivir came in first. It is also free.

Used to use that on my previous notebook, this one came with AVG installed, so inertia set in and it is still there:rolleyes:

Studley 2436
20th September 2007, 10:02 PM
Guys get a Mac:U

Mind you have a look at 2600 they are hackers who are into security. When I say hackers call them coders who do all sorts of computer stuff. Hacker defined by the media as vandals that is not what these guys are.

Windows has a ton of open ports which leaves it as a swinging barn door as far as virus's go; I think 100 or more are set as open in the default settings. Work out which ones you need and shut the rest eg port 80 for the net and so on.

You could of course get a Mac or run Linux as a way to get past the virus thing on Windows.

Studley

munruben
21st September 2007, 12:04 AM
Antivir free edition doesn't offer protection or scan emails whereas Avast free home edition scans incoming and outgoing emails as well as giving you on access protection guard.

macklin
21st September 2007, 10:34 AM
thank you all for your responses. Will get rid of both and download avast.
What do I do to get rid of both COMPLETELY, just in case anything I leave behind will interfere with avast

trhank you

john macklin

Cliff Rogers
21st September 2007, 11:40 AM
Having 2 of anything that does the same job is like carrying 2 spare tyres...
To be sure, to be sure, but the space it uses & weight the weight it adds are the down side.

Check this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=56856).

Ianab
21st September 2007, 06:25 PM
Having 2 of anything that does the same job is like carrying 2 spare tyres...

With virus checkers it's worse... the extra tyre is fitted and running in a different direction to the rest :wink:

Ian

Barry_White
22nd September 2007, 01:22 PM
thank you all for your responses. Will get rid of both and download avast.
What do I do to get rid of both COMPLETELY, just in case anything I leave behind will interfere with avast

trhank you

john macklin

John

I think you will find if you just go to Add/Remove programs and delete them if will completely remove them.

The only one that it wont remove fully is Norton but I have a Norton removal tool if anyone wants it .

macklin
22nd September 2007, 03:04 PM
thank you for your reply.

that is what i ended up doing.

thank you