PDA

View Full Version : READ THIS POST

ubeaut
13th November 1999, 12:50 AM
You should read this post it could affect you. WOOD KILLS GERMS click on this URL go go directly to post: http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000052.html

Cheers
Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

S Hayward
13th November 1999, 09:11 PM
Thanks Neil
I have read that info recently somewhere and couldn't for the life of me remember where i saw it. What I am yet to see is a copy of the actual report from the boffins who apparently wrote it. I am not being sceptical here, but before I quote this sort of info in any literature I produce I would need to be sure of the facts. Can you imagine the repercussions if it were not true and someone did contract some nasty bug after trusting claims timber doesn't harbour any bacteria? I think your point re finishes is very valid. Again, we don't have that first hand report to explain the findings. It may answer such things as poly coatings etc. I use oil on the boards we produce as I dont think the consumers would part with the cash so readily for a raw one. The fact that a month or two after purchase the finish is pretty much gone doesn't matter. The initial presentation is what counts. I spoke to a commercial kitchen equipment supplier recently and he said the health people now insist that kitchens have colour coded plastic cutting boards. One for fish, one for meat and one for vegies. He said he would like to take our cutting boards because they are fantastic, but could only sell them to retail customers, not chefs. If this info regarding timber and bacteria is correct, there will still be a lot of work to convince the relevant authorities. I believe the situation as outlined is true for the ACT, it may differ in other states.
Regards
Shaun

lushy
14th November 1999, 08:12 AM
The amazing thing to is that the authorities have banned wooden handles on chief knives as well, I to have read somewhere that wood has a disinfective action but I dont think it will make much difference to commercial kitchens. I am in the nursing game and all our kitchens have had to get rid of any wooden boards to comply with acreditation requirements by the year 2001.