PDA

View Full Version : changing weatherboards and putting up blue board then using textured paint

gina
22nd September 2007, 12:49 PM
Hello I was just wondering does anyone know what to do,we are renovating our house and putting on a new room,we at the moment have weatherboards and dont know whether to put weathertex boards back on or use a product called blue board we have been speaking to a hardware store and they say that you can replace the outside with this blue board then use 2 coats of textured bagging paint and it will look rendered? does anyone know any one that has done this or is there more to it then that?
Thanks

Dirty Doogie
24th September 2007, 10:13 PM
Those guys in the hardware store or paint shop make it sound so easy !!! But I bet they have never done it.

If you are going to attempt this sort of job yourselves then you will have to know how to finish the seams and external / internal corners if you use a paint on render. Some plastering knife type experience would be very helpful.

If you use a trowelled render, which is cheaper and easier to finish - well I hope you,ve been building upper body strength down at the gym.

It is a lot more work to get the blueboard looking good. The weather board look would be cheaper.

But dont let this discourage you if you really like the look try doing a small section somewhere.

Here is a run down of what to expect :

Cut and fix sheets leaving 2 mm gap between sheets.

Fix polystyrene "architectural" trims if desired.

Seal gaps and joins with polyurethane sealants.

Prime sheets with texture base primer (gritty primer)

Wipe sheet joins and corners with patching compound and set fibreglass reinforcement tape and / or plastic corner angle at wall corners.

Build up seam and corner with 2 maybe 3 more coats of patching compound. This will take some time as each layer must be thin or compound will crack as it dries.

Seams have to wiped out to about 250 mm, corners wiped out to about the same. The acrylic patch compounds set as hard as rock and if you put blade marks or goobies in the surface they have to be sanded off with a Good random orbital sander and 40 grit.

Finally you can start rolling on the texture coat finish - I would say at least 2 coats.

Or you could probably get some one else to finish and trowel render the sheets for about $55 a mtre sq (noosa prices)

Doog

Dirty Doogie
24th September 2007, 10:17 PM
Oops forgot to mention wiping nail/heads with patching compound.

West OZ Mark
25th September 2007, 12:31 AM
Hi Gina,

About 12 years ago I was working on a house and they used the Blue board with textured bag coating and I was very sceptical on how long it would last. I visited the same house only a couple of months ago expecting to see cracks where all the sheets joined but was supprised that there was no cracks at all.

Sorry I cant help you on the fixing side of it as I only watched them when I was doing the roof but thought it was worth the info

TermiMonster
25th September 2007, 12:52 PM
If it's done properly, it looks good, but if it is done badly it looks very bad.
(like a lot of things, I suppose)
TM

Ronaldo451
25th September 2007, 03:35 PM
Any suggestions on where to get the styrene trims?

TermiMonster
25th September 2007, 04:45 PM
Most plaster stores like PlasterPlus, and other trade plaster suppliers usually stock, or can get it in.
TM
Possibly even Bunnies??

Tools
25th September 2007, 06:36 PM
Any suggestions on where to get the styrene trims?

Go to a supplier of acrylic renders...unitex,granotex,marbletex etc. Just look them up in the phone book.

Tools