PDA

View Full Version : Safe to upload.... a question ?

les88
23rd September 2007, 08:53 AM
A mate of mine uses Ares Ultra do download [ a bit torrent what ever that is] BUT other computers use his machine to upload. My question is how do they bypass the firewall and couldn't they plant a keylogger or whatever in your machine.:oo::oo:
les

Ianab
23rd September 2007, 02:38 PM
A firewall can be configured to block or allow access to various 'ports' in the PC. Normally it will be set to allow access for the programs you want to use, Internet explorer, email, chat etc.. and block anything else.

So all that it needs is for the bit torrent application to be put on the 'allowed' list and the firewall will pass any packets that are directed to that port, but continue to block the rest. Because all the incoming traffic is being processed by the bittorrent application only, an outside hacker can only do what bittorrent allows. If a file is uploaded to your machine, it goes into the bitorrent folder.. and sits there. No way to get it installed or run on the system (without user intervention anyway).

So while it technically does decrease the security of the system, there COULD be a bug in the application that can be exploited remotely to trick the system into running some malicious code and installing a keylogger, thats pretty unlikely. *(unless the program was written by Microsoft :doh:)

Cheers

Ian

les88
24th September 2007, 07:52 AM
Thanks Ian you made that very clear to me:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
les