PDA

View Full Version : Best species to use for Workbench

builderwally
24th September 2007, 07:36 PM
As this is my first thread ever, I thought I would open with a curly question :? for all the woodworkers out there..

Which timber species would you recommend I use for a workbench?

Taking in consideration workability and durability as this workbench will cop an absolute hiding.

echnidna
24th September 2007, 08:03 PM
Cheap crap so its cheap to make a new improved model later on.

builderwally
24th September 2007, 08:12 PM
:lb: thanks for the reply Echidna But i do plan on keeping this for a while.

thumbsucker
24th September 2007, 09:22 PM
Even if you are going to keep it or a long time and do a good job of making it. Then you can make a fine bench from pine, search this board.

The more important question is what will you use the bench for, how big will it be and what kind of design then you can select your timber.

I am a dark sider hand tool user and I need a bench that is a working tool not a dumping place for junk therefore I choose a design to suit my needs.

If you wish to keep it for a long tie then it is simple a question of price as in how much are you willing to pay and durability. Any hardwood would be suitable. Some people have made benches from Brazilian Rosewood (which I think is rather silly bordering on irresponsible).

What can you get you hands on in the right dimensions. I have opted for recycled old growth timbers and box woods because they are hard and I have access to them.

Studley 2436
24th September 2007, 09:31 PM
My workbench is made out of pine that was left over from a stud wall. That made the legs and frame. Then the top was left over door Jambs. Needed another length to finish the top but all I could get was Meranti so that is it.

Of course I have a ton of Hardwood sitting around now but the old pine bench is still going 3 years later. Just make it out of what you have access too and don't worry about it.

Studley

glock40sw
24th September 2007, 09:36 PM
G'day.
I made all mine out of 3x1 1/2 spotted gum for the legs and rails and 190x35mm KD spotted Gum DAR 3 wide for the top.
All screwed together with bugle head screws
You can flog the phluck out of it with a sledgey and not mark it.

P.S. it's handy to work where the Material is produced and you get Staff rates on the timber costs...:2tsup::D.

China
24th September 2007, 09:43 PM
My work benches are "australian" oak for the top and apron and jarra for the legs and frame, I've had them for 30 years + In saying this I would hate to think what the cost would be nowdays

sumu
24th September 2007, 10:27 PM
May be no business for me to mix up in this thread, but besides usage considerations, how much space you have for it?

No matter how small the bench is, it should still be quite heavy and rigid if doing some hand planing or anything else "jiggly" :roll: on top of it. I'd say always go for a thick stock for rigidity, and precision joints.

A bit lighter wood for the thick stock frame is equally good if joints are made with a good fit. The top should be tough wood if you chisel against it, otherwise there should be used some separate chopping boards.

If doing gluing on top of it, some thin (2-4mm) polyethylene sheet (or other olefin plastic) is the best barrier there can be. There is a very few glues to stick with it, and keeping it clean is easy. A pieces half the size of the top are quite good.

I have all kinds of chopping etc. boards under the bench desk. There is plates of glass, stone, steel, plastic, plywood, wood etc. because one single benchtop material can't handle all conditions. It is pretty nice to do some soldering or small low-temp metal castings when there is 50cm x 50cm piece of 5mm thick steel sheet on top of it.

I have not very much space for my things, therefore I must always think of versatility versus practicality when making improvements. This my bench is basically the only bench I have, the other two are just small sidetables (or windowsills, it depends :)

One important device should be included for every bench and that is brush. I have 100mm wide paintbrush to keep the debris away, It helps if the top is uniformly coloured.

Anyway, like others made a point, what are You going to do with it, that's the question.

kippis,

sumu

lbgking
10th October 2007, 01:14 PM
Spotted Gum makes good benchtops due to it density. Axe handles are made from Spotted so it can take some punishment.

Cliff Rogers
11th October 2007, 08:56 AM
My Sunday best is made of Kwila. (Before you ask Daz, it still isn't finished. :rolleyes:)

I have a collection (Ref: The Code Para 6.3) of workbenches made of all sorts of things, mostly stuff that doesn't cost much so it doen't mater if it gets roughed up a bit.

johnc
11th October 2007, 09:20 AM
Mine has legs of 4" x 2" recycled hardwood framing, and top of MDF topped in masonite. Looks as ugly as sin but its lasted 25 years with the top a recent replacement. All up cost, a few coach bolts, $1 for the MDF (a packer sheet) and $16 for the masonite the rest was free.

Billyboydes
12th October 2007, 09:59 AM
Another vote for Spotted Gum. Not cheap however very hard. This is a bench Dad and I made of SG paring the tenons was hard work.
Regards

Bodgy
12th October 2007, 01:37 PM
I'd second Echidnas post.

Make the supporting structure with good quality hardwood, but use pine or some cheapo stuff for the top.

After a while you will find your original design, ie vice positions, dog holes, tool well etc is not ideal - ie you lacked the experience the first time around - which you now have.

Then you can get some nice, hard timber for your second (maybe final) go.