PDA

View Full Version : Powercarving question

Luxyboy
25th September 2007, 09:30 AM
Hi Guys,

Looking at purchasing the Arbortech powercarving grinder wheels anyone used these before?
Anyone with any comments, suggestions, different brands and where to buy at a decent price?
Much appreciated :wink:

Kind Regards,
Brad

pawnhead
25th September 2007, 12:04 PM
I bought one for my small grinder a while back to carve a drop curve in a handrail:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/holgerdanske/th_WhaleBeachhrailsmall.jpg (http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/holgerdanske/WhaleBeachhrailsmall.jpg)

I think I was quoted about $400 just to do the drop curve so I saved a motza.
It goes without saying that it's a gnarly (and dangerous) tool and you need a firm grip on it. :wink:

Luxyboy
25th September 2007, 06:59 PM
Did you find it performed well?
Any problems?

Sprog
25th September 2007, 07:46 PM
I use both the standard grinder wheel and the mini grinder.
You can remove a lot of wood very quickly with the standard wheel. You can also do reasonably fine work as well.
The mini grinder is great for detailed work. You can remove large amounts of wood with the mini grinder, it just takes a lot longer.

These tools are no more dangerous than any other power tool if they are used in accordance with the instructions and normal safety procedures are followed.

The tungsten tipped blades are way better than the standard blades but are also more expensive.

pawnhead
26th September 2007, 10:49 AM
Did you find it performed well?
Any problems?Yeh, it performed very well. I had to remove the guard from the grinder (Not Recommended! :wink:) to get into the tight inside curve, but I suppose if I'd had a mini attachment i wouldn't have had to.
These tools are no more dangerous than any other power tool if they are used in accordance with the instructions and normal safety procedures are followed.I think they're among the most dangerous because of a few factors.

1. If your grinder has an on/off switch as opposed to a trigger, then it's always running even after you let go of it.
2. It's designed to be used freehand without resting it on a surface, unlike a power saw. This makes an extra firm grip necessary.
3. It has the potential to do a LOT of damage to human tissue.

I can imagine that it may bite in (a knot, or a nail?) and kick back in your face, then keep running even after you've let go of it. Far more dangerous (and less forgiving) than an orbital sander with a releasing trigger I'd say. :U You could just about let your kids play with a ROS.

Of course if you follow all the safety procedures, and never make a mistake, then I'll agree that all tools are equally 100% safe because you should never have an accident. Unfortunately (as far as accidents go) we live in the real world, and this is one tool that demands a lot of respect.

joe greiner
26th September 2007, 03:00 PM
1. If your grinder has an on/off switch as opposed to a trigger, then it's always running even after you let go of it.

I've used, and become somewhat skillful with, a Lancelot cutter (similar to Arbortech, but uses a short chainsaw chain in a 4 1/2" circle). I very strongly recommend that you use these tools only with a grinder with a trigger, and never engage the trigger lock. They do a little less damage while they're coasting to a stop.

Joe

Scally
26th September 2007, 04:05 PM
They are an impressive tool for shaping pieces of wood.

The comments about big fast moving bits of steel should be acknowledged.

Sanding attachments on the arbortec also do a great job. Coarse grits can remove a lot of material with little danger.
THe discs are moving quickly so with finer grits and on endgrain you need to keep moving or you will get burn marks.

The mini- with the small sanding discs is great for shaping in tighter areas.

You can see some fine work in the Carving section done using these tools.

Sprog
27th September 2007, 12:55 PM
You have to wonder about someone who states how dangerous these tools are, then admits to removing the safety gaurd!

If you follow the proceedures then you are dramatically reducing any potential hazard.

Yes you could probably let your kids use a ROS but it is hardly in the same class any tool the has fast spinning parts that cut and to base your premise on this, is rather facile.

pawnhead
27th September 2007, 03:14 PM
You have to wonder about someone who states how dangerous these tools are, then admits to removing the safety gaurd!I wasn't putting myself up as a paragon of safety advice, and I stressed that I wasn't recommending removing the guard.

I also didn't make an attack on your character, but you have to wonder about someone who claims that all tools are equally safe. :? But I'd prefer to play the ball than the player and you just admitted that a ROS wasn't in the same class.

Obviously all tools are not equally safe, regardless of how much precaution is taken. We're not machines, and mistakes happen. Some tools are more forgiving of mistakes, i.e. safer.

echnidna
27th September 2007, 04:37 PM
So which brands of 100mm angle grinders have trigger switches?

pawnhead
27th September 2007, 05:24 PM
I haven't seen any small ones with a trigger, but I reckon you could get them. My 9" Hitachi has a trigger. Much safer than a switch. ;)

Marc
27th September 2007, 06:01 PM
Safety, he he, must remember a friend who decided to "sand" the wooden floor of his porch with a grinder. He used an old Hitachi 4" with a switch in the back and no handle for the left hand. Obviously he didn't want to achieve a smooth finish.

When I arrived he was sitting down on a chair rather pale and shaky. To my question what happened he said that tired from working in such awkward position in a confined space of barely 2x1 meter with walls around it he had let the grinder go out of his hand "and the damned thing was running around in circles behind me trying to get me" From his wife account it seems he started screaming and running around in circles as if a dog was chasing him and trying to get away by jumping on the edge of the wall. The grinder stopped only when the cord got caught in the wheel and blew the fuses. By then my friend was up on the wall grappling the veranda post.:roll:
When I inspected the veranda, the marks of the grinder could be seen all over the floor and halfway up the wall

Luxyboy
27th September 2007, 06:05 PM
I am looking at getting the DeWalt D28106-XE.
I googled the model to see an up close picture and it appears it has a push button style; however the description states, "Lock-on slide switch provides the user comfort in extended use applications". Need to go see it in person i think.

Luxyboy
27th September 2007, 06:10 PM
Safety, he he, must remember a friend who decided to "sand" the wooden floor of his porch with a grinder. He used an old Hitachi 4" with a switch in the back and no handle for the left hand. Obviously he didn't want to achieve a smooth finish.

When I arrived he was sitting down on a chair rather pale and shaky. To my question what happened he said that tired from working in such awkward position in a confined space of barely 2x1 meter with walls around it he had let the grinder go out of his hand "and the damned thing was running around in circles behind me trying to get me" From his wife account it seems he started screaming and running around in circles as if a dog was chasing him and trying to get away by jumping on the edge of the wall. The grinder stopped only when the cord got caught in the wheel and blew the fuses. By then my friend was up on the wall grappling the veranda post.:roll:
When I inspected the veranda, the marks of the grinder could be seen all over the floor and halfway up the wall

My 9" has a trigger and it along with my steel capped t-boots saved me hopping around for the rest of my life.
My brother has been a concrete cutter; try holding onto a 20" blade as your cutting on a vertical concrete wall and it bites on some rio bar :o I have never seen someone so scared.

neilb
27th September 2007, 07:12 PM
If these stories werent so serious, they would well and truly qualify for TV's "Funniest Home Videos" ! :rolleyes:
Neil.

joe greiner
28th September 2007, 05:01 AM
I am looking at getting the DeWalt D28106-XE.
I googled the model to see an up close picture and it appears it has a push button style; however the description states, "Lock-on slide switch provides the user comfort in extended use applications". Need to go see it in person i think.

Probably the trigger lock I mentioned, but best to see in the flesh to make sure. On my Craftsman (not sure who makes it for them), there's a release button to allow use of the trigger (like on a chain saw) - two finger operation. The trigger lock is separated enough to need two hands to engage, although pinky finger might work. As I suggested, I seldom if ever use it. Also verify a spindle lock to ease changing disks.

Joe

Luxyboy
28th September 2007, 07:04 PM
Probably the trigger lock I mentioned, but best to see in the flesh to make sure. On my Craftsman (not sure who makes it for them), there's a release button to allow use of the trigger (like on a chain saw) - two finger operation. The trigger lock is separated enough to need two hands to engage, although pinky finger might work. As I suggested, I seldom if ever use it. Also verify a spindle lock to ease changing disks.

Joe

Turns out it is a trigger style on the side and it also can be put into "locked on" mode. Quick release and all for $85 :2tsup: The 800w ones in the tool shops are $100.
D28106-XE Features

1200 Watt 11,000 rpm motor designed for faster material removal and higher overload protection
Dust Ejection System(TM) provides durability by ejecting dust and debris particles that enter the tool through the air intake vents
Jam-pot, low profile gear case provides precise gear alignment for a smoother, quieter transmission while allowing access to tight spaces
One piece brush arm prevents brush hang-up due to dust ingress
Quick-Change(TM) Wheel Release provides tool free wheel removal
Keyless adjustable guard provides tool free guard adjustment thus increasing productivity
Vibration reducing removable side handle provides user comfort and reduces user felt vibration
Auto-off brushes shut the tool down when the brushes need replacing to avoid tool damage
Oversized, protected spindle lock button provides easier and quicker wheel changes
Lock-on slide switch provides the user comfort in extended use applications
Matching wheel flanges allow the use of common accessories