PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Hairy Oak in Brisbane

Luxyboy
25th September 2007, 09:37 AM
Hi Guys,

I am after a peice of Hairy Oak to make a bowl from. Something about 30cm x 15cm if you have something close to this let me know.
Needs to be dry and not cracked.

Kind Regards,
Brad

neilb
25th September 2007, 02:49 PM
Im sure David at Queensland Woodworking Supplies down the road at Slacks Creek would have some. I have 1 or 2 bits but only big enough to make a pen out of. If you end up with some small offcuts, if you havent got a use for them, can you throw them my way ?
Thanks
Neil.

Barry Hicks
25th September 2007, 05:22 PM
Brad, I suspect you will have a problem finding a 300x150 lump of hairy oak.
I used to live in an area in FNQ where it grew and never saw any a tree that you could get an unblemished blank of that size from. It may grow bigger in some places.
I was given a ute load of it and there was nothing approaching your size. There were wider pieces but they were always fire damaged or just thinner slabs.
You may have to switch to another variety of Casuarina - same(ish) grain, just lighter colour.

Barry Hicks

Luxyboy
25th September 2007, 06:36 PM
She Oak might be the next best thing then it seems.

reeves
2nd October 2007, 05:55 PM
lucky to find it 30 cm wide mate, i have about 30 kgs of it and none of its that wide. Mostly thinner logs and u get a fair bit of hair and sapwood and you never get it non split, ever, it always splits, some times u do get larger chunks but i aint seen many.

I have stuff that size in the rose sheok but its the same story regarding splits and sapwood.

what have you got to trade mate ?

If u find any 30 cm hairy oak with no splits let us all know...;-)

cheeeeeeers
john

Luxyboy
3rd October 2007, 08:34 PM
lucky to find it 30 cm wide mate, i have about 30 kgs of it and none of its that wide. Mostly thinner logs and u get a fair bit of hair and sapwood and you never get it non split, ever, it always splits, some times u do get larger chunks but i aint seen many.

I have stuff that size in the rose sheok but its the same story regarding splits and sapwood.

what have you got to trade mate ?

If u find any 30 cm hairy oak with no splits let us all know...;-)

cheeeeeeers
john

Nothing to trade i am just looking at getting into wood work and i liked the look of that particular wood.

reeves
3rd October 2007, 08:58 PM
Nothing to trade i am just looking at getting into wood work and i liked the look of that particular wood.

mm this is the timber swap forum, usually people use it to exchange timber.
Glad yr getting into woodwork and the inopholia (allocasurina inopholia be hairy oak) sure is a speccy looking wood, inopholiacs are people who covet it, drool over it and hoard it wherever possible...

You wont find any in general timber suppliers but woodies tend to hoard it where possible, i have heard of a guy at highfields who has larger bits stashed under his bed..you might find some at the maleny wood show in april. I actually saw a sizable log of it at the pioneer viallge at highfields on the back of a 1920's chevvy ute..

best bet is to find a property with some on and talk to the farmer, cut it and seal it and wait...there was some out the back of the goombungee tip a while back..hairy oak burl is really rare and looks even better..

It grows out west, from the Millmerran/Kingaroy belt to further nother and further outwest. Both the hairy oak and rose sheoak ahve the biggest tangentital contraction along the grain of any timber in the country, menaing they split..

check this thread

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=57878