PDA

View Full Version : New to Turning

bundyrum68
25th September 2007, 11:19 AM
A mate asked me to make a Trophy for his Antique Car Club. Broke out the $100 lathe and re-shaped wood chisels to have a lash at this turning.
Wood was scraps found round the yard & have no idea what they are.
Turned the inner mag wheel up & used an artline texta & a bit of steel wool to darken the tyre.
Anyway mate is happy with his trophy, I am hooked on turning & wife is NOT HAPPY when I told her I need a grand or two for a new lathe & equipment!!:o

switt775
25th September 2007, 11:50 AM
Nice work. Yup, that's how we get hooked. I bought a $100 lathe & $29 tools three years ago - didn't want to commit much money to something I might not like. Wore the lathe out 3 times during the warranty period (best thing about GMC is the warranty service), then stepped up to an MC1100 and some decent chisels. Haven't stopped grinning since.

son_of_bluegras
25th September 2007, 12:53 PM
I've just recently got an inherited lathe up and running (direct drive, motor has oil PORTS) with basic tools (5 piece set don't even know what proper names to call 'em). Had a need to make some simple round things (think dowels but from something harder than pine). And now I'm afraid I'm hooked.

ron

TTIT
25th September 2007, 12:58 PM
........... I am hooked on turning & wife is NOT HAPPY when I told her I need a grand or two for a new lathe & equipment!!:oWhat:o - only a grand or two - ah well I suppose you can go for more in next years budget eh!!! It never really stops. If you've got the habit just using a GMC type rig, gawd knows where you'll end up :;. Great idea for the trophy - looks good.:2tsup:

Gil Jones
25th September 2007, 02:02 PM
Dang fine looking trophy!! :2tsup:
It's good that she thinks you are only going to spend a few grand (for now).

OGYT
25th September 2007, 02:18 PM
Nice Trophy! Welcome to the addiction! If you get by with only a grand or two... :secret: let me in on your secret. :D

Wayne Blanch
25th September 2007, 04:59 PM
Nice work!!:2tsup: You should be well pleased with the trophy it looks great. Just think how much easier it will be when you get the new lathe/chisels. Like Al said if you manage to get a couple of grand from the minister of finance tell us your secret!!!!:U

theyoungster
25th September 2007, 07:47 PM
im 16 and already hooked got my lathe now i need some chisels and a motor
bryce