PDA

View Full Version : Intro

petersemple
25th September 2007, 12:53 PM
Ern suggested that I should warn you all that I'm here (er, introduce myself, that's what I meant). So, here I am. I have been turning for a few years now. It all started with a pen. I have a set of pens that were turned for me by my wife's friend's father. I broke the nib and needed a new one. He had died though so I couldn't just go to him for bits. I started to look on the net, and not only found pen kits, but also instructions on how to make them. Decided I could give that a go, and the rest is history. I am also interested in making guitars, and am nearly finished my first one. I had always said I would like to make my wife a nice wooden flute sometime too, because she plays. I noticed that the techniques for making pens are a very basic form of what is required to make a flute, so I figured that could be a good place to start. I have a CarbaTac MC900 Lathe. At the time it was the best I could afford - and it's not too bad a lathe I think, especially for the price. I turn mostly pens. I think I've made about 100 or so. I have a few bowls rough turned waiting to dry out and be completed. One day I will also look at flutes. I have made one kadeidoscope too - that was fun. Anyway, nice to meet you all.

Peter

Gil Jones
25th September 2007, 02:17 PM
Welcome aboard, Peter. Woodturning is rather habit forming, but very enjoyable. I am interested in making Native American flutes, maybe one day I will figure out the baffle system inside them. My Brother repairs and builds fiddles and violins (as a sideline), and has just started his new web site called Sugar River Violin [ http://www.sugarriverviolin.com/index.htm ]. You two may find a common interest in stringed instruments...drop Bill a line.
Do you have any pics of your work?

OGYT
25th September 2007, 02:24 PM
Welcome to a fine turning world, Peter. You need to get checked out, 'cause it sounds like your addicted for sure.
You keep makin' stuff for your wife, and she'll more'n likely allow great expenditures for tools!! :D

Wayne Blanch
25th September 2007, 04:53 PM
Welcome to the madhouse Peter, it really sounds like the "bug has bitten" and you are hooked, congratulations!:D
Regards
Wayne

petersemple
25th September 2007, 05:10 PM
Welcome to a fine turning world, Peter. You need to get checked out, 'cause it sounds like your addicted for sure.
You keep makin' stuff for your wife, and she'll more'n likely allow great expenditures for tools!! :D

She already has two of my pens, and so far not too much complaint about expenditure. She is starting to mutter about floor area though. For the person who asked about photos, I have a few, but I hope to have some of my latest works soon - just need to remember to crank up the camera one day.

Peter

rsser
25th September 2007, 05:31 PM
Welcome Peter to the forum.

No need to be bashful about the MC900. A capable lathe and lots of us have one or started on one.

There's a huge amount of turner's wisdom on this site so take a stroll though. Try out the Search function first if you have a query. It's a bit clunky but practiso makes perfecto ;-}

scooter
25th September 2007, 05:33 PM
Gday Peter, & welcome :2tsup:

Cheers...................Sean

Allan at Wallan
25th September 2007, 05:41 PM
Welcome Peter,

What a fantastic site this is.

Take the time to go thru the many posts in the
different categories and you will be surprised at
the wealth of knowledge shown by members.

Allan

I am not at all worried about dying
... but just hope I am not there at the time.

wheelinround
25th September 2007, 06:29 PM
Welcome Peter

Like all have said a great place to be enjoy the company.

Just watch out for low flying birds, wild dogs and wood chips.

Ray

joe greiner
25th September 2007, 11:34 PM
Welcome aboard, Peter. If you didn't previously know, you should now know you're doomed. But this is the best place in the world to be doomed.

One tip I recently read, is to carry a small digital camera for documentation of your work; pocket size best, and doesn't need to be high-res mega mega pixels. The "film" is so cheap, you can afford to photograph almost everything.

Joe

petersemple
26th September 2007, 11:38 AM
Welcome aboard, Peter. If you didn't previously know, you should now know you're doomed. But this is the best place in the world to be doomed.

One tip I recently read, is to carry a small digital camera for documentation of your work; pocket size best, and doesn't need to be high-res mega mega pixels. The "film" is so cheap, you can afford to photograph almost everything.

Joe

Just don't let the wife read this. I am trying to get her to let my buy a digital SLR body to go with all my lenses and flashes. In my case it is a case of remembering to take the photos when the light is good. I am thinking of buying one of those tents - or making something similar out of a box and tissue paper or something. Anyway, there is one of my pens up in the penturning forum now.

Peter

rsser
26th September 2007, 12:37 PM
Somewhere on the WWW, prob. woodcentral, there's a design for a cheap and easy lightbox Peter. Uses foil covered polystyrene, electrical conduit framing and a Holland blind.

petersemple
26th September 2007, 02:15 PM
Somewhere on the WWW, prob. woodcentral, there's a design for a cheap and easy lightbox Peter. Uses foil covered polystyrene, electrical conduit framing and a Holland blind.

Found it, thanks. Looks big enough to do more than pens too. Thanks for the lead.

Peter

rsser
26th September 2007, 03:05 PM
Pleasure.

PS, in optical terms can you mix film lenses and flashes with digital bodies? Thought there were problems there not just in terms of changed focal length FWIW.

petersemple
27th September 2007, 10:25 AM
Pleasure.

PS, in optical terms can you mix film lenses and flashes with digital bodies? Thought there were problems there not just in terms of changed focal length FWIW.
I must admit I hadn't heard that. My understanding is that the "digital" designs are mostly re-badged film lenses. I could be wrong though. Do you have any more info?

Peter

ETA - I just did a bit of a look around the net. Looks like Depth of Field is affected too. It also sounds like the image quality actually can be better than film, in the sense that as the sensor is smaller, you are getting mostly the centre of the image on the sensor, while the edges tend to have lower quality on most lenses.

rsser
27th September 2007, 12:21 PM
Perhaps. Most dig. sensors are however significantly smaller than a 35mm film frame so can store less info (inc. less contrast range). This is what my photographer niece reckons anyway.

It may just be advertising hype but lens makers produce dig. specific lenses now, and in last week's Green Guide Terry Lane commented that if you were buying a polarising filter there are dig. specific types.

Anyway, I'm no expert.

There is a german site that does technical lens comparo's that might be worth a look.

If I were in your shoes I'd certainly see if the existing suite of lenses would work with a dig. body. In fact, I used to have a heap of EOS film stuff.

(And was told by Canon that the EOS flash would not work at all on a Canon dig. SLR).

RETIRED
27th September 2007, 02:03 PM
Ahem gents. http://www.woodworkforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122

rsser
27th September 2007, 02:07 PM
Fair call ;-}

rodent
29th September 2007, 06:32 PM
Welcome Peter glad you joined us . I'd like to see a pick of your kaleidoscope ,and how you made it .hope you sort your camera out soon .