PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs advice on bottom plate for shed slab

r00fi
25th September 2007, 01:41 PM
I'm building a shed on an existing concrete slab.

The shed needs to be smaller than the slab.

I'm wondering what I should use for a bottom plate. Treated pine with a dampcourse?

The slab may not drain perfectly at the edges so maybe some right angle (or 89 deg) flashing is required between the clading and the bottom plate?

Any help greatly appreciated....

robyn2839
27th September 2007, 09:52 PM
why not box up 100 ml high and whatever width your bottom plates will be around the slab? might help

Jacksin
28th September 2007, 02:44 AM
It would be an awful lot simpler to build the shed the same size as the slab with the wall sheeting running down past the edge of the slab. This would stop any future water seeping under the bottom plate.

manoftalent
30th September 2007, 03:17 PM
If ya have a power saw, change the blade to concrete cutting .....and cut grooves in the concrete about every 300mm..and about 15/20mm deep .both ways ...create a tile effect ....this should give enough "runoff" should any rain tend to sit where ya dont want it ....I am with the other poster though ....shed should fit the slab ....but ya gotta do what ya gotta do I spose:2tsup:

les88
30th September 2007, 04:16 PM
why not lay a course of bricks or form up and pour some concrete the size of the shed so the walls drop down over it.:2tsup::2tsup:
les

r00fi
1st October 2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the replies. Really didn't want to lay more concrete or bricks. I ended up grinding the concrete down a little for runoff around the edges and also cutting some slots to enhance the runoff further. Used TP for the bottom plate with a layer of plastic dampcourse. I guess time will tell if I got it right :roll: