PDA

View Full Version : What Fits in a Forester?

IanA
6th October 2003, 09:54 PM
Back in August alf t posted a thread "bandsaw height".

This provoked much humour in with some good advice. (Sometimes difficult to tell which is which.)

As I own a Forester and was in the market for a new bandsaw I took great interest in the exchange.

Ten days before the Melbourne Woodworking Show I bought a BS 1400 on special from Carbatec.
At $499 I thought it was a good buy. Having assembled it and done a few test cuts I reckon it's the bees-knees.
Ripping a 2mm x 130mm slice off a piece of very old redgum fence post was a breeze.

But this is not my real point.

In it's box the BS 1400 fitted with ease in the back of the Forester, the only real problem being all that spare space. The box tended to slide around a bit.
So if anyone else is contemplating using their Forester for this purpose, just buy lots of other tools to fill up the space, and explain to SWMBO that this really is a safety issue.

Wood Borer
7th October 2003, 09:41 AM
Thanks,

I can use that argument in the future - Safety.

Of course SWMBO could argue that if the bandsaw was not purchased in the first place then the safety risk has vanished.

- Wood Borer

alf t
8th October 2003, 09:24 PM
I fitted my Bs Something 350 in the back of MY wife's Forester.
It fitted perfectly and is now out and running. I think this bandsaw with an 8 inch sawing capacity is the ultimate hobby saw. I bought lots of other bits and pieces at the PWS that packed nicely each side of the saw for travelling home ( I told her that they were the vital bits of the saw that were too precious to fit in an ordinary cardboard box)... my wife is very aware that i do not tell fibs!

Cheers
Alf