PDA

View Full Version : Different dust collection ?!

TTIT
25th September 2007, 11:59 PM
Looking for some ideas for a way to convert some very small pieces of ebony into dust to use for filling cracks and voids in my turnings. I want the dust fairly coarse but can't think of an easy way to create and collect it without getting all the other colors that cling to every machine in the place. Anyone got a bright idea for me??? :C

Please note that I did try searching the forum for this but do you have any idea how many hits you get when you search for "dust" and "collection" on here!!!:o:o

Wild Dingo
26th September 2007, 12:07 AM
put yer gob over the dust hole an turn it on? :U :U :U

No? ...sorry cant think of a thing of the top of me noggin mate :no:

But hopefully some bright spark will wander in and regale us with some wonderously brilliant yet oooh so simple method that we should know but seems we just couldnt think of it... you know the old "Why the blazes didnt I think of that?" thing :doh:

All the best and I will be watching with interest :;

Caveman
26th September 2007, 12:41 AM
Have used bandsaw dust before from a particularly dark acacia we've got here - dust is about the right 'consistency' - but I guess your pieces are too small to feed to the BS?

Harry72
26th September 2007, 01:36 AM
What about using a bastard file?

weisyboy
26th September 2007, 08:25 AM
i stick small bits in a vise i have mounted in the center of my bench place a peice of paper underneath and use a rasp of file depending on the consistency.

i also have little piles along the side of my shop that come fron the collection bag of my belt sander.

schaf
26th September 2007, 09:21 AM
dremel

Cliff Rogers
26th September 2007, 09:25 AM
Rasp, grater, or even chip up a bit & put it in the blender. :rolleyes:

OGYT
26th September 2007, 11:14 AM
I've hand sanded a chunk of wood on a rough belt with the sander off, but that wouldn't work very well for a large amount.
Suggestion:
40-50 grit sanding belt. 30 gallon clear garbage bag. Put a cleaned out/cleaned up belt sander (without dust bag) in the bottom of the bag... on the floor, upside down. Put heavy something's around it to keep the bag out of it. Put your arms inside the bag and tuck it around you as best you can, to close any openings. Sand the Ebony away. Knock the dust out of the belt sander and remove it. Brush off and remove the heavy somethings. Shake the dust into a corner of the bag and collect it. (I'd try anything once.) :D
If the pieces of ebony are too small for the fingers, try pliers.
You gonna use epoxy or CA to mix with the ebony?

TTIT
26th September 2007, 01:08 PM
Rasp, grater, or even chip up a bit & put it in the blender. :rolleyes:Can I borrow your blender to try this???:U Bein' a bachelor type, I don't have such fancy food makin' stuff :B Definitely the highest recovery rate suggestion so far. The files/rasps ideas would work except as the bits get very small they will be hard to hold (and hard work!!)
Hmmm - wonder if the ex would lend me her blender :U:;

dremelCould work - will have to see what bits I've got that might be savage enough to get the right sized dust then do it inside a bag or bucket as Al suggested for the sander.

......Suggestion:
40-50 grit sanding belt. 30 gallon clear garbage bag. Put a cleaned out/cleaned up belt sander (without dust bag) in the bottom of the bag.......
You gonna use epoxy or CA to mix with the ebony?
CA is the way to go Al - quick 'n easy, sands better and blends into the timber better with most of the timber I use.

Have used bandsaw dust before from a particularly dark acacia we've got here - dust is about the right 'consistency' - but I guess your pieces are too small to feed to the BS? You're right about the consistency - and unfortunately right about the size - wouldn't like my pinkies that close to the 1"x1.3TPI:o

rsser
26th September 2007, 03:17 PM
Get a Vermec camlock table Vern and knock up a sanding disc/faceplate combo out of MDF.

Ebony should be heavy enough to drop onto a bit of card on your ways.

http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/camlocktable.pdf

They do 'em in 1" shanks. Got one on order m'self.

funkychicken
26th September 2007, 03:31 PM
Electric Juicer :;

scooter
26th September 2007, 03:52 PM
Vern, could glue to a piece of scrap to keep the onkaparingas out of harms way.

Following Cliff's suggestion, follow this technique.:oo::p

here

Cheers....................Sean

TTIT
26th September 2007, 04:54 PM
Vern, could glue to a piece of scrap to keep the onkaparingas out of harms way.

Following Cliff's suggestion, follow this technique.:oo::p

here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM94aorYVS4)

Cheers....................SeanOhhhh man - I gotta get me one of them!!!!!!!!!!!:o:U:U:U

Is yours a rake ravager Cliff????

rsser
26th September 2007, 05:34 PM
Well I'll be d*mned.

Makes my turning obsolete.

ss_11000
26th September 2007, 06:46 PM
thats cool:2tsup: (the video)

Fredo
26th September 2007, 08:05 PM
I have a small Breville coffee and spice grinder that I use to grind shavings down to suit, it is very user friendly, it can make very coarse chips right down to powdered dust depending on the length of time in the grinder. I've had it for a few years now, from memory it was fairly cheap, around $30. I have ground many different coloured woods and keep the chips and dust in small spice containers to use as is or mix and blend to either match or highlight cracks and voids, it works for me, good luck.:2tsup:

Fredo

scooter
26th September 2007, 08:35 PM
Aha, I knew there was a reason I posted the you tube link. Well done, Fredo :2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
26th September 2007, 11:15 PM
I've never tried it, I've just seen the damage they can do to nuts & spices & reckon it was worth a suggestion.

I have tried this one (http://www.joecartoon.com/cartoons/67-frog_in_a_blender). :D

hughie
26th September 2007, 11:39 PM
Well I'll be stuffed! If I was a betting man I would have done me dough on that one. :U

The Mother of All Blenders.......dunno if I need one tho'

TTIT
26th September 2007, 11:56 PM
I have a small Breville coffee and spice grinder that I use to grind shavings down to suit, it is very user friendly, it can make very coarse chips right down to powdered dust depending on the length of time in the grinder. I've had it for a few years now, from memory it was fairly cheap, around $30. I have ground many different coloured woods and keep the chips and dust in small spice containers to use as is or mix and blend to either match or highlight cracks and voids, it works for me, good luck.:2tsup:

FredoUser friendly wood be cool - unlike the batch I made tonight, Tried one of those carbon burrs in a die grinder holding it inside a bucket. It worked and I have a small batch of dust but it wasn't much fun and I nearly hit the pinkies a few times :C. Thanks for the tip Fredo - I'm off to Ebay to see what I can find:2tsup:

ss_11000
27th September 2007, 01:10 AM
magic bullet / magic bullet rip offs???

reasonably good cheap blenders:2tsup:

WOODbTURNER
27th September 2007, 11:31 AM
thats cool:2tsup: (the video)
Just what I need for my palm fronds!!http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

TTIT
6th October 2007, 11:59 PM
Scored a little Breville coffee grinder as Fredo mentioned for just $17 including postage on Ebay. Much smaller than I expected but I'm not into coffee so I had no idea what I was getting :shrug:. It didn't look beefy enough to feed a broom handle so I broke the ebony up into splinters no thicker than matchsticks and hit the trigger - poifekt!!! Little jar of ebony dust now at the ready whenever I need it (and have already - goes great with redgum!). Thanks for the tip Fredo :2tsup:

Old Croc
7th October 2007, 12:58 AM
I use a 2nd hand cutter from a key cutting machine on a mandrel I made up and put in the drill press on very slow speed and make powder in bulk and also my own copper, brass and aluminium powder for filling cracks,
Regards,
Crocy:)

La truciolara
8th October 2007, 05:18 AM
I'm afraid that I might want to blend quite a few of my turnings :U