PDA

View Full Version : Beginner at woodturning

realtor-1
26th September 2007, 05:24 AM
I want to try my hand at wood turning, but have never tried it before. I'm thinking of buying a Jet 1236 lathe. Besides turning gouges and tools, what else should I buy at the time that I buy the lathe? Do I need to buy a chuck and other attachments? I would appreciate any help that you can give me. Honestly, I am a beginner at woodturning.

reeves
26th September 2007, 07:37 AM
HI welcome to the forums, yes u need at least 2 chucks some different jaws, a decent grinder, chisel holder of some kind and white/pink wheel for HSS tools. IF ya wanna drill holes in work u need a 2MT drill chuck and maybe a few other bits and peices, theres quite a few other threads on this topic so do a search..

cheeeeeeers
john

RETIRED
26th September 2007, 09:02 AM
First thing I would do is join a Woodturning Club to see if you like it. Some of our American forumites may be able to steer you to one.

Gra
26th September 2007, 09:15 AM
First thing I would do is join a Woodturning Club to see if you like it. Some of our American forumites may be able to steer you to one.

, has hit the nail on the head there, join a local woodworking club, they should have lathes there you can borrow/use. That way you can get a feel for the process and see if you enjoy it. If you enjoy it go spend the money. If you don't it will mean you are not stuck with an expensive piece of equipment you have to then offload at a loss. the added bonus of joining a club will also be that the club will have contact that will let you find out about better quality second hand lathes going cheap :2tsup:

Good luck and welcome to the addiction, remember buying the lathe is only the start of the expenses:U

Rookie
26th September 2007, 09:32 AM
...... remember buying the lathe is only the start of the expenses:U

Sometimes this sort of statement is a bit of a throw away line to people starting a hobby, but Gra is dead right. You will spend again, at least what you spent on that lathe just getting accessories.

Having done it that way myself, I very much agree with about joining a club and spending a few meetings getting some proficiency with their equipment before you go to any major expense. It will give you an idea of what type and size of work you want to turn, and therefore what type of chisels, lathe, chucks etc you want to buy. Some people just end up doing pens on a mini because they love it, but the toolset for that is different to those turning large bowls and platters.

Have fun with it and don't rush into it.

OGYT
26th September 2007, 10:53 AM
Best advice has already been given. A good club is the way to start. I didn't, but there wasn't a club within a hundred miles. A club will have a lathe or three to let you try your hand. The club members are always glad to give a hand to a new turner. You can pick their brains about lathes and tools. It's best going that direction first. Trust me.
I bought a 'beginner' lathe. Bent the headstock. Bought a little better lathe, but it was chaiwanese, and the motor was built on, was only 1/8HP rated at 1/2HP. Then decided I needed a bigger lathe with a bigger motor. Got it. Could have had 4 more chucks with what I spent on those two starter lathes. :(
I don't live in Mississippi, so I can't advise you on a club. Someone should be able to though.
Welcome to the forum and to wood turning. If you start, you're hooked. Simple as that. :D
Cheers.

MY TURN
26th September 2007, 02:05 PM
I want to try my hand at wood turning, but have never tried it before. I'm thinking of buying a Jet 1236 lathe. Besides turning gouges and tools, what else should I buy at the time that I buy the lathe? Do I need to buy a chuck and other attachments? I would appreciate any help that you can give me. Honestly, I am a beginner at woodturning.

:?First do you like working with wood? :?What would you want to turn?
It can get a bit expensive.... but worth it, I know!
Do not get overwelmed with other peoples work, just enjoy it.
Be your own turner. We like to see things that are different.

MT

rsser
26th September 2007, 02:08 PM
See below for AAW local chapters:

http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/

joe greiner
26th September 2007, 03:51 PM

Ern beat me to it. Good show on the tube, though: Ken Burns' magnum opus of WW2 on pbs.

Joe

rsser
26th September 2007, 04:25 PM
Joe, I'm flattered you confused me with Lathe Meister ;-}

I just contributed a footnote to his post.

So Burns on WW2 eh? He (they?) did the Civil war series yeah? (Or, ahem, 'war between the states' in your case :rolleyes: ).

Loved that series. Theme music was 'Ashokan'. My partner plays it sometimes on her piano and darn if it doesn't bring tears to the eyes every time.

On a sombre note, its also sad to note that the war between the states invented concentration camps.

Bit OT; sorry.