PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Printing

mat
27th September 2007, 04:20 PM
I am looking at getting a wireless printer server to hook up to my current wireless system.

The question is can the PC connected by wire to the wireless router modem send to the wireless printer or only those computers that are connected wirelessly?

thanks for any advice
Mat

djfoggin
27th September 2007, 07:49 PM
Off on a tangent, we just bought a wireless lexmark all in one printer, plugged in printer connected usb cable to set up on main pc and then installed wireless software on 8 other computers am now able to print and scan wirelessly. When scanning I put the document on the flat bed as per usual but select the named pc that I want it to go to from drop down list on printer - bloody fantastic machine. no messing with routers etc.

DavidG
27th September 2007, 07:57 PM
I would say Yes. The direct connect PC appears like any other on the network and can see all other PC's so should see the print server.

DJ’s Timber
27th September 2007, 08:10 PM
Also check that the wireless printer server is compatible for the printers that you will be using it for, some of then won't work for multi-function printers and label printers

mat
30th September 2007, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the responses guys.

philf
3rd October 2007, 08:32 PM
Hi Mat.

I am looking at getting a wireless printer server to hook up to my current wireless system.

The question is can the PC connected by wire to the wireless router modem send to the wireless printer or only those computers that are connected wirelessly?

thanks for any advice
Mat

Mat I don't have a wireless printer server, the setup I have is my main desktop is connected to wireless router and the desktop is also connected to printer, I also have a laptop that I connect to wireless and I can use the laptop and print wireless. I use a program called network magic http://www.networkmagic.com/ the downside to this is the desktop has to be on to use printer.

Rgds,
Phil.

Pusser
3rd October 2007, 10:26 PM
I have a wireless modem/router conected to a pc by ethernet cable and a printers connected by ethernet cable to the router. I also have a wireless printer server and a wireless network. All can speak too each other whether or not the PC is on. The biggest hastle is getting all the drivers onto the laptop. It is possible but a headache to set up for me anyway. Its was more plug and fiddle rather than plug and play. No go for multi function unit (fax,scan, print) though - printing only.

Pusser

Alastair
19th October 2007, 01:24 PM
Hi Mat.

Mat I don't have a wireless printer server, the setup I have is my main desktop is connected to wireless router and the desktop is also connected to printer, I also have a laptop that I connect to wireless and I can use the laptop and print wireless. I use a program called network magic http://www.networkmagic.com/ the downside to this is the desktop has to be on to use printer.

Rgds,
Phil.

Hi Phil,

I have a similar setup, but have tried to network using the network wizards in the bundle. Have succeeded with Broadband, and to a limited degree with file sharing, but no success with printers.
Does it matter if they are older printers which are not "configured" for networking, like the Lexmark of a few years ago, or does NWM handle it all?

I am moving house, and going through the whole bit of changing service provider etc, so it may be an opportunity to bite this bullet as well.
I have 3 PC's, with 2 printers connected to the main desktop. That machine is w/l linked to router as are another desktop and a laptop. Router also has a cable connection to son's xbox.

regards

philf
19th October 2007, 09:55 PM
Hi Alastair.

Hi Phil,

I have a similar setup, but have tried to network using the network wizards in the bundle. Have succeeded with Broadband, and to a limited degree with file sharing, but no success with printers.
Does it matter if they are older printers which are not "configured" for networking, like the Lexmark of a few years ago, or does NWM handle it all?

I am moving house, and going through the whole bit of changing service provider etc, so it may be an opportunity to bite this bullet as well.
I have 3 PC's, with 2 printers connected to the main desktop. That machine is w/l linked to router as are another desktop and a laptop. Router also has a cable connection to son's xbox.

regards

The printer I have is an epson 830u so it's not one of the newer ones and it works well with network magic wireless. You can go into nm and setup different devices (Add a Device Wizard) so i don't think it makes a difference whether it's a network printer.

Best thing to do is download the free trial and see if it works for you, BTW you have to install this on all the computers. I think they have a discount available at the moment. I think I got the licence for up to 5 computers

Just create a restore point if using xp before you install incase things go belly up:U
although I've had no problems.

Rgds,
Phil.

rhancock
19th October 2007, 10:58 PM
I hadn't even thought of wireless printing! I've got broadband with a wireless router, and 3 laptops (no desktops). I just bought a cheap epson printer and we take whichever laptop we want to print from, down to the study and plug in the USB cable, but if we could print wirelessly, thatd be great.

Can you connect the printer direct to the wireless router? without a pc?

Big Shed
19th October 2007, 11:06 PM
You will need a wireless modem/router with a wireless print server built in. My son has been looking at the Asus WL-600G, seems a very good unit at reasonable price and gets good reviews on Whirlpool.

He is about to ditch the desktop and just use their 2 notebooks (shortly to be 3, 1 for the 6 year old!).

wheelinround
20th October 2007, 10:14 AM
Hi Mat.

Rgds,
Phil.

Phil how much did it end up costing you I take it its US $$.

I downloaded it some time ago when I installed it it was full of add links which caused spam that was the free copy, which now looks hobbled heaps.

philf
20th October 2007, 01:48 PM
Hi Wheelinround

Phil how much did it end up costing you I take it its US $$.

I downloaded it some time ago when I installed it it was full of add links which caused spam that was the free copy, which now looks hobbled heaps.

I think at the time it cost me about $38au I have the one that allows upto 5 computers, you can pay less for only 3 computers. At the moment it looks like they have a discount on see link http://www.networkmagic.com/nmlp/home-networking.php?src=google&kw=network%20magic&gclid=CISYpLjimo8CFRI5agodJGXTfQ

Then just go here http://www.xe.com/ to convert it from USD to AUD then minus 15% discount they are offering. So at the moment 29.99 USD = 33.57 - 15% = 28.57 AUD give or take a few $ on conversion at the time. BTW this is for 3 computers.

Regarding spam I get it sometimes from network magic but you can opt out if you dont subscribe to their email list.

Rgds,
Phil.

wheelinround
20th October 2007, 06:21 PM
Hi Wheelinround

I think at the time it cost me about $38au I have the one that allows upto 5 computers, you can pay less for only 3 computers. At the moment it looks like they have a discount on see link http://www.networkmagic.com/nmlp/home-networking.php?src=google&kw=network%20magic&gclid=CISYpLjimo8CFRI5agodJGXTfQ

Then just go here http://www.xe.com/ to convert it from USD to AUD then minus 15% discount they are offering. So at the moment 29.99 USD = 33.57 - 15% = 28.57 AUD give or take a few $ on conversion at the time. BTW this is for 3 computers.

Regarding spam I get it sometimes from network magic but you can opt out if you dont subscribe to their email list.

Rgds,
Phil.

THANKS Phil:2tsup:

les88
21st October 2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the link and tip for networkmagic it works like a dream. It picked up on the Topfield 6000 which is wireless PVR. As for printing it just works, and works well:2tsup::2tsup:
les

philf
21st October 2007, 09:11 PM
Hi Les.

Thanks for the link and tip for networkmagic it works like a dream. It picked up on the Topfield 6000 which is wireless PVR. As for printing it just works, and works well:2tsup::2tsup:
les

Glad it worked for you les:U

Rgds,
Phil.

mat
22nd October 2007, 09:09 AM
Hi Phil,

regards

mat
22nd October 2007, 09:10 AM
Alastair

I initially had quite a few problems print and file sharing. Found the problem to be the fire walls. One in Norton and the other in Vista. Changed the settings in the fire walls to allow this sharing and away it went.

mat
22nd October 2007, 09:16 AM
Richard
Yes you can connect a printer directly to a wireless print server without a PC, that's the whole idea. The wireless print server can be quite separate to the wireless modem/router. I have a printer connected to a wireless print server in a separate location to all computers. The printer is now in a central location to all users.

I hadn't even thought of wireless printing! I've got broadband with a wireless router, and 3 laptops (no desktops). I just bought a cheap epson printer and we take whichever laptop we want to print from, down to the study and plug in the USB cable, but if we could print wirelessly, thatd be great.

Can you connect the printer direct to the wireless router? without a pc?

rhancock
22nd October 2007, 09:26 AM
Thanks, Mat,

So I can just buy the wireless print server and connect it to the printer, and then the laptops just connect to it, and leave the wireless modem / router as they are?

mat
22nd October 2007, 10:34 AM
Richard

Yes that's basically it. You need to temporarily connect the print server to the modem router for setup and then you can move it anyway to the desired location. You also need to configure the printer (now networked) on all the user computers.