PDA

View Full Version : What do i buy for the shed (tools)

Calm
27th September 2007, 05:36 PM
Hi all on Saturday i move into a house with a shed again. - after no shed since 6th July 2006.

I am going to my first www show on Saturday 13th or Sunday 14th October.

I enjoy spindle work and bowls, I intend to have a go at pens at some stage.

I have started Slabbing some Blackwood & Wattle and have not decided what i will do with that in the future. At present I am sealing the ends and letting it dry.

Woodworking tools i have
Hafco WD180HD with cast iron legs
I have the tools that came with the lathe and have purchased a Supanova 2 chuck from CWS
Set of hamlet turning tools (a 50th present) - roughing gouge, parting tool, 1/2" skew, small spindle gouge, 1/2" round scraper.
Air compressor
Small electrical - drill, plane, jigsaw
hammers, handsaws, calipers etc.

Stuff i think i need
Bandsaw capable of sawing 8" high
Dust collector
3/8 spindle gouge, 3/4 or 1" skew, 1/2" bowl gouge
2" & 3" sanding pad for drill
sand paper, finishing compounds
Moisture meter

Later i would like to purchase a 20" thicknesser maybe.
I dont even have a bench but will probably make a steel one. (there's the motor mechanic/welder coming out again)

i am open to sugestions for more.

Whatever i buy i want to last because i dont want to upgrade at a later date. I want to buy good quality now. (probably not GMC)

After using Erns "Stubby" the lathe is the only thing that i would want to upgrade in the future.

My thoughts are that i checkout whats available and price them then go to the www show and see if there are any "bargains" - what is the best day at the www show for bargains?

What brands do you recommend?

i was thinking i would probably spend a couple of thousand dollars on tools etc. (not including the thicknesser - a T510 with 3hp is $1995 from Hare & Forbes)

I am open to suggestions for both brands and suppliers.

I will probably have no computer for a few days due to the changing of addresses and AAPT waiting on Telstra to change the broadband over.

Feel free to "spend' my money for me. I am not against buying secondhand if the article is better quality. - Ern want to sell the "STUBBY"???????:D:D

I am relying on this forum to aim me in the right direction.

As Wild Dingo would say "Get yer thinkin caps on fellas an sheilas!"

I'm not sure if i should brace myself for the answers or not!!!

Maybe see the bank for more dough!!!!!

Thanks in advance (I think)

Calm
27th September 2007, 05:43 PM
At Erns get together we were using other handy stuff

Square drive screws
Shark Jaws - do they come for the supernova? should i have another chuck??
Face rings instead of a face plate

The list just goes on

I better leave it for the experts to list them

scooter
27th September 2007, 06:07 PM
Gday David, you must be champing at the bit :D

Skew has the long nose jaws for the SN2 IIRC. Jim & Irene of cws (http://www.cws.au.com/)are Nova dealers & will be at the show, maybe shoot JIm an email to ensure he has the jaws & faceplate rings there. Ubeaut of course for some finishing gear.

Sachys-Robertson are usually at the show for square drive stuff, they are good to deal with.

CWS also have Hermes abrasives by the metre which is good stuff. This (http://www.veneerinlayaustralia.com.au/cgi-bin/engine.pl?Page=page.html&Rec=560)crowd also has cloth backed sandpaper that was favourably reviewed by Richard Raffan recently, could be worth a look if they are at the show.

Enjoy the show, mate :)

Cheers.....................Sean

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th September 2007, 07:18 PM
Skew has the long nose jaws for the SN2 IIRC.

Mine are the old style spigot jaws... the new ones have a bevel on the outside rim which makes 'em less useful in expansion mode. (An idea I don't particularly like. :shrug: ) There are also Powergrip jaws available for the SuperNova, but I think my old spigot jaws are the closest to Vicmarc's Sharkies.

Hmmm... personally I'd go for both a 1" and a 2" sanding pad, forgetting about the 3" unless I was planning on doing humongous turnings. More disks per sheet of paper and will get into the more awkward places :wink:

The 1/2" bowl gouge is a definite... and would go really well if teamed up with a 22mm Supaflute. :2tsup:

Faceplate rings are nice, but are low use items in my shed. So I'd put them bottom of the list.

Apart from that, everything on the list seems perfectly reasonable to me... particularly a good bandsaw. Won't get into the "this brand is better than that" argument over BS's, there's enough posts on the subject already. :rolleyes: But Scooter's spot on about the Hermes abrasives and Sachys-Robertson screws, IMHO!

Oddly enough, apart from the BS it looks like you could do a one-stop shop at Jim Carroll's stall! :D

DJ’s Timber
27th September 2007, 07:52 PM
If your getting a thicknesser, you want to add a jointer on to the list as well, in my opinion an 8" is the minimum, forget about the 6" one unless your doing small stuff.

Tony Morton
27th September 2007, 10:49 PM
Hi David

Only chance of getting a second hand Stubby is from decaesed estate they'll probably burry mine with me .

Cheers Tony

TTIT
27th September 2007, 11:35 PM
Hi David

Only chance of getting a second hand Stubby is from decaesed estate they'll probably burry mine with me .

Cheers TonyNow there's an idea! :2tsup: My kids aren't interested so I might as well take it with me......... 'together forever'......how romantic!!!!:U

David - I reckon your list looks like the right kit FOR NOW at least and you'll need the full budget to do it justice. For the 8" rise, you'll need a 16" BS and from my experience, you're better to steer clear of the sub-$1000 jobs - I wish I had - I'm now looking to upgrade next year :shrug: Skews right about the sanding pads - I've never used my 3":no: but have worn out a 1" or two. Depends on how you operate, but IMHO, a good drill press with a decent set of sawtooth Forstners are priceless in the shed! :shrug:

And NO, I'm not selling my Stubby either!!!!:U

rsser
28th September 2007, 09:21 AM
A 3/8 or 1/2 Henry Taylor superflute. Yep, with a 17 or 22mm P&N supagouge or a 5/8 Ellsworth signature gouge (Timbecon have these).

Nova Spigot jaws are fine for long piece holding in clamp mode but useless for expanding into a recess. The Supergrip jaws may be a substitute for the excellent Vicmarc Shark jaws but check out the Teknatool website for the chart on travel for various jaw/chuck combos. (You could try the Vermec or Garry Pye adaptors to fit Shark jaws to the SN2; I've got the Vermec but haven't road tested them yet.). Or if you've got access to a metal lathe turn the tops off the Spigot jaws.

An 8" depth of cut on the bandsaw will expand your capacity to chunk down bowl blanks. Team it up with a bimetal bowl blank cutting blade from Henry Bros in Sydney.

Calm
28th September 2007, 10:04 AM
A quick summary from the comments so far as i will lose internet at some time today.

Thanks to scooter, Skew & Dj for all the tips, :2tsup:it will give me plenty of stalls to check out at the www show. As well as a visit to Jims.

TM and TTIT thanks for the tips and no stubby sale :~:?ah well Ern didnt say no so i can keep hoping.:U

The drill press what a good idea i had not given it a thought. TTIT over $1000 for a BS i dont mind. What horsepower do i want? - min 1.5 is that enough? Hare & Forbes are out.

Looks like HT for the tools and a 22mm Superflute seems to be a common thought.

Maybe another chuck to make 2 would be an idea - a vicmarc with shark jaws - any idea of cost? I could see the advantage of 2 chucks for WIP.

Any way thanks for the advice and keep it coming.

Time to start packing to move house tomorrow. About 5 blocks away and empty the storage - the lathe , the lathe, the lathe:D:D:D:2tsup:

joe greiner
28th September 2007, 02:36 PM
A chain saw would be a good addition for cutting blanks from found timber. For shop use, an electric is adequate and may be more convenient than petrol. There's a good fixture for holding the raw timber here:

http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk/tip33.htm

Also a thread in the WT-General forum a few months ago on Chain Saw Use.

Joe

Christopha
28th September 2007, 03:00 PM
BANDSAW!!! The most useful saw/machine you will ever buy! Just make sure you have about 12" depth of cut, cast iron table (AVOID anything with aluminium table), good solid trunnions and if I were you I wouldn't look at anything with under 18" wheels.
Sanding pads for the power drill are good for work off the lathe but for sanding bowls. platters etc on the lathe then have a good look at the hand held sander sold on the wondrous UBeaut stand at the WWW show which will be ably demonstrated by the amazing, handsome and modest Doorstop.
Finishes.... you won't be able to go past the UBeaut stand there either, No carcinogenic oils, no orange peely lacquers, lots of good, healthy, longlasting, easily applied finishes conceived and manufactured by your wonderful forum hosts, U and Beaut!

rsser
28th September 2007, 07:50 PM
Seems to me that bandsaw and sanding have been covered.

Power vs rotary sanders have also been kicked around. Seems C. you might benefit from reading all the threads on this subforum.

Finishes weren't a matter that Calm was asking about; the thread title was about tools.

But don't let me stop you from sharing with all of us what's on your mind Christopha.

Calm
10th October 2007, 08:19 PM
Bandsaw
Pedistal Drill
Dust Collector
Moisture meter
3/8 Spindle gouge
Bowl Gouge or 2
1" Skew chisel
Face plate rings
Larger jaws for Supanova chuck (already have 35mm and standard ones)
or New chuck (vicmarc with shark jaws)
Square drive screws
1" & 2" power sanding pad
sand paper up to 1200
some method to clean and square up the grinding wheel.
And of course some UBEAUT products.

This is the shopping list so far. I have checked most of the bigger stuff for prices so will see if there are any bargains at the weekend (probably Saturday)

i am going with a freind but will call into the Forum stand to say gday.

With no minister of finance to consult i had a good talk to myself last night and decided this list was both necasary and affordable.

ss_11000
10th October 2007, 08:26 PM
Bandsaw
Pedistal Drill
Dust Collector

Have fun buying your stuff.

But with that list, i hope you've got a big ute or something:2tsup:

Harry72
10th October 2007, 09:07 PM
Dont skimp on your bandsaw, look at Jet or a Hammer even the bigger carbatec's.