PDA

View Full Version : Laterite - Red Clay Soil (Anyone)!

Hotfridge
28th September 2007, 08:29 PM
Hello,

I am wanting to build a planted aquarium tank and have found that the best way to encourage plant growth is through a product called laterite. It might also go by other names in other parts of the world.

Laterite is like a red clay typer of soil, that many wineries use to encourage good growth. It generally comes from mines as well, like in Western Australia. It is also used on road construction, as it allows the asphalt to sustain greater durability.

The sand itself generally comes from tropical areas, somewhat in the vicinity of 200 to 300 million years of age, where the earth has basically chewed up many trace elements, and spewed up clay soils.

The thing is, I know you can buy bags of the stuff here in Victoria, but not sure where and was hoping that somebody from this forum might come up with an answer!

I am needing some 20kg of the stuff to form a substrate form my 4ft aquarium, on which a gravel compound sits. This has the effect of drawing in plant nutrients to feed the plant roots and thus promote healthy plant growth.

If anyone from this forum has come across such a product, could you please let me know. Your help is much appreciated.

Bunyip
28th September 2007, 10:43 PM
Dupla make a laterite substrate additive. Try Coburg aquarium. From memory, Boronia aquarium also carried it. Check out the Yellow Pages.

I used o have a 600L planted aquarium. Not sure where you got 20kg from, way too much.

Laterite is mixed with the substrate and put in as a layer about 5 cm thick. A layer of clean substarte is put over this. The best combination is laterite wth substrate heating.

Also can try e-stores, such as Aquamail. THere are many high tech equivalets now, manufactured substrate additives akin to slow release feartiliser. Remember it is the combination of light, heat and nutriet (carbon dioxide and mineral) that makes for exceptional plant growth.
Good luck

Hotfridge
29th September 2007, 12:40 AM
Dupla make a laterite substrate additive. Try Coburg aquarium. From memory, Boronia aquarium also carried it. Check out the Yellow Pages.

I used o have a 600L planted aquarium. Not sure where you got 20kg from, way too much.

Laterite is mixed with the substrate and put in as a layer about 5 cm thick. A layer of clean substarte is put over this. The best combination is laterite wth substrate heating.

Also can try e-stores, such as Aquamail. THere are many high tech equivalets now, manufactured substrate additives akin to slow release feartiliser. Remember it is the combination of light, heat and nutriet (carbon dioxide and mineral) that makes for exceptional plant growth.
Good luck
Thank you Bunyip,

I will try Coburg aquarium in the morning. Yes, the 10kg and 20kg packs are sold at Boronia, I've seen them there. On reflection, I should have specified accurately unprocessed laterite. It must then be the case that the Boronia laterite is pre-mixed.

I have just purchased a substrate heater today, the Red Sea 160 (for 160 litres/4ft) for an amazing $50 brand spanking new.

Can you or anybody tell me whether or not one can:

1) Buy laterite at nursery or landscaping retailers?
2) If so, is this type of laterite quite safe? In other words, it does not have harmful additives, for example, pest controlling agents.
3) Can one make up one's own laterite mix, or are the commercial products too carefully compiled.