PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for timbers on this project please?

mic-d
29th September 2007, 07:33 PM
Hello everybody,
yesterday I gave up trying to design this commission on paper and tried sketchup for the first time, so go easy on the model. What a great program. I'm pretty happy with the overall shape and proportions. There will be a full depth drawer in the middle under glass which will contain two stacked display trays that can be swapped over for a change. I'm thinking of making the two timber panels on top hinged to access space underneath. And I haven't decided if I'll laminate the sides or cooper them.
Anyway, what's your thoughts on timbers for this? I was contemplating blackwood as the major timber.

Cheers
Michael

mic-d
30th September 2007, 10:50 AM
everybody must be in the shed or at the WWW show:bump2:

Cheers
Michael

DJ’s Timber
30th September 2007, 11:14 AM
I think BW would look great, be nice if you could get the sides laminated.

What sort of hinges do you have in mind for the panels? Would look smicko with no hinges showing when it's shut.

manoftalent
30th September 2007, 02:40 PM
err Mic, some more ppl might give advice if they could see the pic ...I dont have sketchup loaded on this pc and windows does not know file type ..perhaps save the pic as a jpeg and repost it might help:doh:

DJ’s Timber
30th September 2007, 02:45 PM
err Mic, some more ppl might give advice if they could see the pic ...I dont have sketchup loaded on this pc and windows does not know file type ..perhaps save the pic as a jpeg and repost it might help:doh:

Here you go

mic-d
30th September 2007, 06:32 PM

What!? I thought I was the last person to download it:D

Sorry and thanks dj...

Cheers
Michael

mic-d
30th September 2007, 06:35 PM
I think BW would look great, be nice if you could get the sides laminated.

What sort of hinges do you have in mind for the panels? Would look smicko with no hinges showing when it's shut.

Just found out last night that a light timber is the preference. Lucky really since the client wants it for a surprise gift and the recipient discovered this:doh: ...and requested a light timber...
So Silver Ash might be another idea. I do like it.
I may use flush fitting blum hinges so they are invisible - thats a great suggestion dj.

Cheers
Michael

Harry72
30th September 2007, 06:53 PM
Mic, instead of a hinged top make it a sliding top using full extension draw runners, this is better in the way you dont need to "clear the table" to access it!
I did one a few years back, here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=27757).

mic-d
30th September 2007, 07:40 PM
Mic, instead of a hinged top make it a sliding top using full extension draw runners, this is better in the way you dont need to "clear the table" to access it!
I did one a few years back, here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=27757).

That's an elegant idea Harry, i'll play around with dropping the sides down on the model so that the tops could slide out.

Cheers
Michael

mic-d
10th January 2008, 08:54 PM
It's been a while, but the coffee table is almost finished. I changed the design a little as shown in the first image. The timber top is solid blackwood, the front and back panels are silver ash laminated particle board. The sides are laminated mdf veneered in silver ash. There is a large drawer for displaying items - the drawer front is lipped in blackwood. Now to just finish it and install a glass top. For something different I made the mould for the mdf lamination out of polyurethane foam, rather than more traditional plywood. There is less labour in forming the mould but the foam is not as cheap as ply.

Cheers
Michael

DJ’s Timber
10th January 2008, 09:11 PM
WOW, looking really good there Michael :2tsup:

RufflyRustic
11th January 2008, 09:44 AM
Sweet!!!!! fantastic design!

More photos please! :)

cheers
Wendy

Harry72
11th January 2008, 05:08 PM
Very nice!

spokeshave
11th January 2008, 08:03 PM
Now that will be a topic of conversation!!!!!

Excellent design and well made. Brilliant work mic-d.

I'm with Wendy, more pics please...

Steven.