PDA

View Full Version : Cutlery tray

Rocker
8th October 2003, 05:46 PM
I am a total ignoramus when it comes to scroll-saws; I do not even own one. But I wonder whether this project, which I made using a coping saw to cut the compound-angled dovetails, would have been more easily done on a scroll-saw. I am afraid the dovetails and the fretwork are a bit rough, because I did not at the time have a fret-saw. The wood I used is brazilian mahogany.

Dean
8th October 2003, 06:59 PM
Well the scroll work on the back piece would be easier with a scroll saw. Not so sure about the dovetails on a scroll saw though. Never tried, but I'd imagine they would still be tricky.

oges
9th October 2003, 09:27 AM
yeah everything on that project could be done with a scrollsaw, except the dovetail joints. Im not saying it isnt possible, but a scrollsaw blade is hard to do a straight line with which would be needed to make a good joint.

I'd say the joints would best be done the more traditional ways.

DavidW
10th October 2003, 08:48 AM
Yes that job and many others can be done on the scroll saw. Pick up a good book then check the for sale section on this forum, there is an entry level machine for sale. OK OK yes its mine, I am upgrading :D :D :D :rolleyes:

Rocker
10th October 2003, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the info. I thought maybe the dovetails would be hard to cut with a scroll saw; because of their compound-angled nature, you would have to tilt the table at 15 degrees to cut the tails, which would presumably make it even harder to make a straight cut. Think I will pass on buying a scroll saw - I am more into furniture making.