PDA

View Full Version : Hairie's Boats.

hairymick
30th September 2007, 10:31 AM
G'day guys,

Been playing round here trying to work out how to post piccies. Seems I may have it sussed now.:D

I am a compulsive builder of Stitch and Glue plywood canoes and kayaks and if anybody is interested in my work, I will post some piccies of my boats.

A word of caution though, My boats are not works of art. They are functional, fair and very practical for my purposes. I build them to use and abuse as I see fit and I fish from them all. When I get sick or bored with a particular boat, I sell it for what it cost me to make and then start on another one.

I really like the lines of Mr Storers lovely canoe and am feeling a strange need coming on - again.

This is my latest work in progress, a 13' rec kayak. Quick, simple build and should work well as a skinny water job.

Hello, my name is Mick and I am an epoxy & sawdust addict.:D

Wild Dingo
30th September 2007, 12:48 PM
yeah an a canoe addict eh:2tsup:

Barry Hicks
30th September 2007, 01:13 PM
Look good to me Mick!
Went down that track once with Cobra cat hulls. First hull was a breeze. Second hull self destructed before I finished bending the ply into the former, probably because the ply had been sitting in the sun and was bone dry.
Not to be outdone, I sold the first hull and went and bought ready made glass hulls.

Barry Hicks

hairymick
30th September 2007, 03:07 PM
Thanks guys,

Here is one of my earlier builds, A Cajun Pirogue. Assymetrical hull, flat bottom and all. The pirogues are the boat of choice for many Cajuns paddling the Florida and Louisanna Everglades.

Primary stability is excellent, Secondary is a bit dodgy.

They draw very little water and have a surprising turn of speed for such a hull. Again, a very quick and easy build to do and very suitable for a first time builder with limited tools or resources.

These boats are ideal for sneaking around in our swamps and backwaters and I just don't understand why they are not more popular here. This one is my favourite skinny water boat at the moment. I call it Bunyip.:D

TK1
1st October 2007, 09:01 AM
Hi Mick,

Welcome to the madhouse :D You'll find a few fellow addicts here. Kinda like the Southern Paddler forum but with more variety (of boats and sawdust addicts), and we use "g" on the end of words like padllin' :D.

Lovely boats, I can see at least 9 in the first photo alone! The pirogue is fantastic, one is on my list of "I really must build one someday" boats...but I've just got to get the first one started :wink:

Enjoy the paddling and fishing.

Darren

hairymick
1st October 2007, 01:55 PM
G'day Darren,

Thanks mate.

Here is another version of the pirogue. I built this one for my wife. The second side panel or tumblehome panel makes it a little easier to paddle and adds a nice touch I think:D

The designer calls this one a P5