PDA

View Full Version : Shed Improvements and Timber storage

Eowyn
30th September 2007, 08:22 PM
A recent purchase of a bandsaw (CTJ 3501 :U ) neccessitated a major overhaul of the shed layout.

Part of the process involved finding a place for some timber up to 1.5metres long. So we made a lidded box on wheels.

Design flaw 1: I should have done the rebates on the front (and back) panels the other way around. As soon as the box was full, it became obvious that a couple of screws holding the front on was not enough. (It has been reinforced with a couple of steel brackets on the inside)

Design flaw 2: The wheels needed to be the next size up - I think they're overloaded!

A neat place for storage.

les88
30th September 2007, 08:33 PM
A good idea for your timber storage:2tsup:
les

RufflyRustic
30th September 2007, 09:09 PM
Hi Eowyn, These under-bench drawers are great! I've made two now, one for timber bits 1.2 m or less in length, and the second drawer for all my finishes.

I like how neat yours is.

:2tsup:

Cheers
Wendy

Scally
2nd October 2007, 11:20 AM
Very smart idea.

I have lots of small pieces of wood that seem to good to throw away. They are too small for the timber rack and get lost in bin.

John G
4th October 2007, 12:31 PM
Well done.
An offcut drawer like that is an absolute necessity!
I don't know how I survived so long without one.

Ron Dunn
4th October 2007, 02:06 PM
One comment ... next time you make a box like that, put the joint on the other orientation. The joint should resist the pulling force ... that appears to be dowelled, in which case the dowels should show on the narrow ends, not the front/back of the box.

John G
4th October 2007, 02:41 PM
One comment ... next time you make a box like that, put the joint on the other orientation. The joint should resist the pulling force ... that appears to be dowelled, in which case the dowels should show on the narrow ends, not the front/back of the box.

I believe that is what he meant by design flaw #1.

Ron Dunn
4th October 2007, 05:25 PM
I think you are right ... sorry for overlooking the obvious :)

Eowyn
4th October 2007, 05:48 PM
'she' :U

Ooops. I've just bought a jointer. Shed reorganisation V2.5 coming up!

John G
5th October 2007, 10:52 AM
'she' :U

Apologies.
Sexist assumption on my part. And I'm not very good with my welsh(?) names.