PDA

View Full Version : Ska bands - who do you like?

Clinton1
1st October 2007, 08:10 PM
Hey all.

I'm looking for some good, happy and upbeat Ska bands to get into... iTunes have some stuff, if you know what to look for.

Its been ages since I used to listen to the odd Ska band in Brissy, and my only album is the "Mighty, mightly Bosstones"... I'm looking for some more, insanely happy and upbeat Ska.

Recommendations anyone?

Cheers..... :;

markharrison
1st October 2007, 09:28 PM
I liked Madness. They appeared in the episode "Boring" of The Young Ones.

Tex79
2nd October 2007, 01:19 PM
Reel Big fish, Goldfinger, Less than Jake and Save Ferris.

These are my favourites. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Evan

journeyman Mick
2nd October 2007, 03:21 PM
The Specials, The Beat (later called The British Beat as there was a US band called the beat) All Nighters (saw them in pubs in Sydney).

Mick

Clinton1
2nd October 2007, 03:46 PM
thanks people... I'll check them out. :)

Eli
6th October 2007, 12:26 AM
You mean English Beat?
Of course, No Doubt and Sublime.
The Clash?!
Desmond Dekker.
The Skatalites.
There's a great album called Ska Island, various artists.
Cottonmouth Kings
Long Beach Dub All-stars
Fishbone
the Bosstones have about five albums
I'll think of more...
Remember too, there's three waves of ska, Jamaica, England, Long Beach, so it depends what you're into. But those above will keep you busy.

journeyman Mick
6th October 2007, 05:23 PM
Clinton,
good reading here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ska) with links to a few bands which you can then search for. I found some tracks on Limewire which I downloaded. Nothing on the Allnighters though, I'll have to try to find the vinyl album I have somewhere. From memory the allnighters had an alter ego as the "Igniters" which did dub-reggae. I've only ever listened to the two-tone/British Ska and wasn't aware of the 3rd wave of Ska (but was aware that there was a slower ska precursor in Jamaica in the 50's and 60's.)

Eli,
yeah, the English Beat.

Mick

Clinton1
8th October 2007, 12:53 PM
I have only really listened to the English beat stuff.... the earlier stuff might be more what I am after.

I remember listening to stuff that had a lot of 'almost reggae' breaks, just faster and a lot of horns in it... along with the punk style vocal breaks.

Thanks again... lots for me to check out there. :)

Bleedin Thumb
8th October 2007, 10:23 PM
There is a really good Sydney band around at the moment called "King Tide" In another disguise they were called "Belly Dance" really good stuff!

EDIT Hey Clinton clear your PM's- I just tried to send you one but your folder is full.

Bleedin Thumb
28th November 2007, 04:04 PM
Just came across this - know you will appreciate it Clinton.

YouTube - SKATALITES - LIVE

Eli
28th November 2007, 04:32 PM
YouTube - Desmond Dekker - The Israelites (live)

AL1
20th November 2008, 01:47 PM
Madness - obviously.

But a Melbourne band - No Nonsense from the 80's were good.
They put out a couple of EP's (vinyl only but did catch a couple of songs from Limewire. Managed to salvage a cassette from a live gig in Melb.

AL

X-Man
22nd November 2008, 12:46 AM
All Nighters
Mick

And before them were Strange Tenants and they were movin in. Saw the first gig and never looked back :2tsup:

YouTube - Strange Tenants - Hard Times

http://www.strangetenants.com/home.html

Look no futher and enjoy - Xman