PDA

View Full Version : Jet products price rise?

Grahame Collins
2nd October 2007, 07:07 PM
Something I heard from a dealer,
The mob that own Jet have started a dealer distribution group.from 1st July this year.

He says at the moment that there is absolutely no warehouse stock. He also says that they are going to raise prices by 15%.If its true it will not be good .

I hope he is talking through his hind quarters, has anyone else heard anything like that.?

I have taken a look at the first jet dealer that appears on Google and most jet tools are out of stock with no prices marked.Somethings going on.

Grahame

wheelinround
2nd October 2007, 07:12 PM
I heard that Jet has come into Australia and is now their own importer from MWE

As for stock I hope not could be disaterous but there could be good reasons behind it.

Like lead paint woes.

DJ’s Timber
2nd October 2007, 07:12 PM
Someone else has mentioned this here to, think it was Big Shed, got a newsletter or something to that effect from ??Northwood Tools?? mentioning that this was happening

Found it (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?p=597561#post597561)

Hardenfast
29th October 2007, 09:01 AM
Yeah, I've just purchased a Jet 22-44 drum sander. I had a look at the Major Woodworking Equipment display stand at the Sydney Wood Show a few months ago and they had one there for around $1,695, which was actually their normal price.

I did a little research recently to find that all dealers had removed pricing from their web-sites at the direction of Jet, so you have to contact the dealers directly to get a price. I range MWE who told me that they had none in stock, but could get one, and the price would be $2,195. When questioned as to the difference from a few months ago they confirmed that Jet had revised all pricing and that these were the new rates. The guy said that all dealers would now be quoting the same price.

I then rang Gary Pye in Brisbane who told me he had some 22-44 in stock and that I could have one at his old rate of $1,550 plus $130 for freight down to Gosford. Needless to say Gary got the order - I won't bother contacting MWE again. As a matter of interest, the new prices aren't because of new models - just price increases.

Pusser
29th October 2007, 09:22 AM
Jet will be double dipping given the A dollar rise against the US Dollar. Highest for 23 years and likely to go higher if the fed drop US interest rates as expected :2tsup: and ours go up as expected:oo:.

Pusser

Big Shed
29th October 2007, 09:51 AM
Not meaning to step on anyone's toes, but Jet equipment is not nearly as well-regarded over here as it seems to be in some quarters of Oz. Just a good (or sometimes only fairly good) mid-range machine. Another case of a brand that had higher quality at one time but has started sliding downhill.

The above quote comes from a thread (http://woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=59129&highlight=jet) on bandsaws, but is relevant here.

I have often wondered why Jet gets pushed so relentlessly by some members of this forum when in reality they don't do that well in most woodworking magazine's test comparisons.

My own observations of Jet machines in dealers' showrooms and at woodworking shows has left me with the impression that they have a unique colour scheme but not much else to set them apart from the rest of the Chiwainese machines.

They do however spend a lot of money on advertising and it has always been a very effective marketing tactic to set high prices to differentiate yourselves from the herd.

Just my two cents..............

RufflyRustic
29th October 2007, 09:53 AM
Yep, I heard it too, that Jet are opening a warehouse in Oz and end result, Jet will cost us more:(

johnc
29th October 2007, 10:12 PM
I've got some Jet gear and am happy with the way it has been put together, but the price was pretty much top dollar for what you are getting. Especially comparing prices of items such as the 15" planner across offerings of near identical machines from other suppliers. I would have thought if that reflects the price jump across all their lines then they may just be pricing themselves out of some of their market.

Robo1
19th November 2007, 06:22 AM
Any updates on this subject. Im considering more JET gear?
Rob...

johnc
19th November 2007, 07:41 AM
Try this link www.jet-tools.com.au/ (http://www.jet-tools.com.au/) prices are starting to appear on most lines and you can judge for yourself on that issue. I have no idea what stock levels are in the country but I gather not a lot.

wheelinround
19th November 2007, 08:51 AM
Try this link www.jet-tools.com.au/ (http://www.jet-tools.com.au/) prices are starting to appear on most lines and you can judge for yourself on that issue. I have no idea what stock levels are in the country but I gather not a lot.

Not much of a web site with .DWT links to all clickable

wattlewemake
19th November 2007, 01:26 PM
I bought a jps-10 proshop saw and a 8" jointer just the other day from Gary Pye. Yes the price had risen a bit. Was to cover excise duties from china (on the saw). But I still got a very good deal. On the saw it was the price that another store had advertised quite a few months ago as a special. So I am happy with that.

Regarding stock of jet gear, Gary said that jet were indeed opening thier own wholesale division and no one has much until they get thier finger out. Essentially they are going to increase the prices when they get thier wharehouse running. Gary got the last container directly from jet. All new gear is supposed to go through the wholesaler.

So if you are thinking of buying I would do it now or you may have a bit of a wait and a nasty price increase to go with it.

jchappo
19th November 2007, 06:28 PM
I bought a jps-10 proshop saw and a 8" jointer just the other day from Gary Pye. Yes the price had risen a bit. Was to cover excise duties from china (on the saw). But I still got a very good deal. On the saw it was the price that another store had advertised quite a few months ago as a special. So I am happy with that.

Regarding stock of jet gear, Gary said that jet were indeed opening thier own wholesale division and no one has much until they get thier finger out. Essentially they are going to increase the prices when they get thier wharehouse running. Gary got the last container directly from jet. All new gear is supposed to go through the wholesaler.

So if you are thinking of buying I would do it now or you may have a bit of a wait and a nasty price increase to go with it.

Hmm!
I bought my JPS-10 from Major Woodworking a few months back at the very good price of $1150 - a deal I was very happy with.
Now, on the new Jet Tools Australia web site, the JPS-10 has a recommended retail of $986 - which is a DROP of 15%.
Maybe there are no grounds for complaint ...

Carry Pine
19th November 2007, 09:37 PM
Any updates on this subject. Im considering more JET gear?
Rob...

Rob,

Don't miss the other 'Jet' contributions in other recent threads.

CP

Robo1
20th November 2007, 06:40 AM
Just found the JET Australia web site. I could not use it with the Firefox browser. I can only view it with windows explorer. good to be able to see the prices.
Rob...