PDA

View Full Version : Grand father clock

nine fingers
2nd October 2007, 07:36 PM
This clock has a wooden geared movement, similar to The Naked Clock I made last year, see thread 27/10/06.
Minor adjustments were made to make the movement more compact,and the second hand was deleted.
I was approached by a client,several months ago,if I would make a full case Grandfather clock,for his wifes birthday later this year.
The only specifications I was given were, it had to be darker than a previous clock I had made,and with roman numerals. The second hand was omitted so as not to spoil the X11 numeral.
I laid out the front and side elevations full size on a sheet of mdf,to get the balance and look I wanted. By doing this I was able to visualise what the finished clock would look like,and make any adjustments before construction began.
I anticipate to have it on show at the Barwon Valley Woodwrights exhibition in Geelong on Nov 3rd & 4th 2007.
regards Nine Fingers.:D

I_wanna_Shed
2nd October 2007, 07:45 PM
Very nice work mate. I just love clocks with wooden movements, there's just something about them (excellent and smart workmanship I'm sure).

Looks great!

Hobbyhorse
2nd October 2007, 07:48 PM
Nine Fingers,
Congratulations on a fine job.
Last year I built a tall clock of oak and used a Hermle movement which is ticking away nicely. This rather sparked my interest in such things and I have just built a "Thomas" wooden clock movement, from oak again, and it too does all it should. I am now at the case design stage and will come up with something, however as you have aluded to the movement is physically rather big which makes the case somewhat bulky. I have ideas on how to cheat a bit and hope to be able to fine the case down some.

Again.. just love your clock!!

Rhys H.

nev25
2nd October 2007, 10:38 PM
Well done looks fantastic
I'm wondering if or where plans are obtainable for wooden geared movements

Ticky
3rd October 2007, 12:45 AM
Great work, I want to build a tall case clock one day, but I think I will buy the works.

Steve

Hobbyhorse
3rd October 2007, 05:12 AM
Nev25,
If you Google the phrase "wooden clock movements" you will find plenty of sites and information on them. The plans for the "Thomas" clock that I have built came from the USA and cost about US$40.

Rhys H.

Jim Carroll
3rd October 2007, 08:31 AM
Excellent work as always John.
Look forward to seing it at the Barwon Valley Woodwrights show.

nine fingers
3rd October 2007, 09:26 AM
Nev25, free clock plans can be downloaded ,(google Brian Laws wooden clocks) these are basic designs to get started on.
regards nine fingers:D