PDA

View Full Version : Timbecon 2

Iain
12th October 2003, 12:06 PM
Not a bitch, just an observation on trade names:
At the Melbourne WWW I was looking at a series of tablesaws and Timbecon had some nice looking gear (along with everyone else).
What I loath is the name they have chosen, Torquata, Saligna etc, in my view it sounds cheap and nasty and turns me off a bit.
If it's their product why can't they use their own name, just like Carbatec?
Your views...........

ozwinner
12th October 2003, 04:34 PM
Hi
I think nearly all the machinery on sale at the moment is made in one humungious factory in Taiwan, the factory must cover nearly the entire area of Taiwan.
The largest part of the factory is the badgeing section, you know for all the different badges that they apply, Torquata, Saligna, Carbatec, Jet, WMS, etc. etc. etc.
Second largest area is the paint shop for all the different colours, it must resemble a drab rainbow.
I was looking to buy a band saw, and the only difference between the whole lot at the show was the price.
Cheers, Allan :(

DarrylF
12th October 2003, 11:21 PM
I'm with you Iain - I just can't get over how cheap & nasty their stuff looks. The combination of the colour, brand name & logo and suddenly it doesn't matter if it's good value or not, I won't buy it.

It's a pity really - they've obviously done well, they have a good range and mostly it's good stuff. A few bucks spent on a re-branding exercise from a half decent marketing outfit would go a very long way.

craigb
13th October 2003, 10:24 AM
I'm not sure that it all comes from Taiwan.

I think that a lot of it, especially the cheaper stuff, is actually sourced form The Peoples Republic of China.

IMO the Taiwanese have a better handle on quality control than the Chinese.

Termite
13th October 2003, 05:46 PM
It would be interesting to hear them pronounce "quality control", maybe thats why they mostly dont bother with it.
So solly for racist slur.
Termite

kenmil
13th October 2003, 07:01 PM
Termite,

QC is an evolutionary thing in developing countries. In the 50's (& 60's to a lesser degree), anything made in Japan was pretty crappy. You wouldn't say that now. They started out making cheap copies of anything the West wanted, and gradually improved their technology to where it is today - the best. Taiwan also was reknowned for making cheap crap, but in the last 10 years they have moved to more high tech products, and in some fields - woodworking machines for instance - Made in Taiwan is now a symbol of some quality.

The PC I am typing this on (Acer) is a Taiwanese product and is in the top 3 in the world. In years to come, China quality will evolve too, and when it does, the western nations had better wake up or they will not compete at all, and they will cease to be relevant in industrial terms.

BrianT
14th October 2003, 10:18 AM
Morning all,

Was recently speaking with my B in L - a resident of mainland China for business reasons - about QA etc as this has been on on-going topic in many threads.

China has a wide range of factories that have a capacity to produce almost anything and to whatever standard of QA OR price is required. The main criteria being factories supply only in container lots - preferably 40 ft - of the one product. If an importer/exporter wishes to mix/match, there is a different price structure etc.

The vast majority of products are shipped direct to the USA or Europe.

As Ken mentioned, there is little doubt China will dominate the world manufacturing scene within 10 yrs.

If people wish to dismiss all Chinese products as cheap crap, they may well be doing themselves a dis-service. If the product they purchased is crap, it's probably only because the importer chose to import that particular product 'on price' and not one of a higher standard.

eg those crappy screwdrivers and spanners in the the "$2 discount shops".

Don't be toooooooooo hasty to pass judgement fellas.

Cheers
Brian @ Burra;)

craigb
14th October 2003, 11:35 AM
I wasn't casting judgement, merely making an observation.

In fact I agree with you regarding the PRC. In ten years time, their stuff will probably come at a premium and the cheaper stuff will probably come from India or some other industrialising place.

At the moment though, the less expensive and generally lesser quality woodworking gear, comes from China.

After all to a large extent it's horses for courses. If you perceive that a cheaper tool will do the job you want it to do then why not go for it?

In all things though, you generally get what you pay for.

BrianT
14th October 2003, 02:34 PM
Apologies if you thought I was taking a 'cheap shot' Craig - certainly not the case mate.

Unfortunately at this stage Oz doesn't seem to have the market capacity to take many containers of 'single products' - so it goes to the States and they on-ship from there quite often - so extra cost.

You mentioned India. With 'reproduction furniture' now very popular, I've been to one place importing old style fire place surrounds from India as well as timber mantlepieces.

Just an aside - recently purchased the Torquata half inch 15 piece set of router bits. Very neatly and professionaly presented and has been of great value in learning 'the how to' of routing. I'm sure CMT and CarbiTool are better products and now that I have learnt a (very little) bit will go for either of those brands

Cheers

Brian @ Burra :):

Termite
14th October 2003, 05:19 PM
I agree mate. My vernier calipers are made in China and I'll put them up against any set of Mitutoyo you like. We had better look out if some of the made in Australia stuff I've recently purchased is any example of the way we are going.
Regards
Termite.

macca2
14th October 2003, 08:40 PM
I was in Timbecon this morning and they had a couple of bandsaws in a new blue and white colour.

They had the brand name Sherwood as in the old orange models, and looked a lot better.

Living in Perth I find Timbecon to be very good, but then I don't use their mailing list.

Macca

alf t
14th October 2003, 10:32 PM
If you are going to worry about the Brand name and colour I would suggest you take your hands out of your pockets or join the local footy club as a half back flanker.
Alf

macca2
14th October 2003, 11:19 PM
Nice turn of phrase Alf......that adds a lot. We will all take note of your profound advice.

Macca

DarrylF
14th October 2003, 11:55 PM
Bloody ridiculous statement Alf. I'm sure that everyone here would just love to buy a new table saw if it was painted pink and labelled 'Barbie'.

Brand name, colour, packaging, presentation, advertising - they all matter, which is patently obvious. Sure someone out there might want a pink tablesaw (or a sickly orange one for that matter) - but my point was that they would sell more if they looked the part.

JackoH
15th October 2003, 09:48 AM
Lots of people buy Triton don't they?. :eek:

gatiep
15th October 2003, 01:10 PM
Yeah John, you are right.......I call the 'Buy,Sell and Swapp' section on this bb " Triton Exchange ". I have never used Triton gear, always bought dedicated machines, also where I lived in my 'previous life' they were not really big.
I am absolutely amazed at the number of Triton deals offered/ wanted in the 'buy, sell & swapp ' section. I am trying to figure: If they are that good, why are so many for sale....but then again....if they were not that good there would'nt be as many buyers. So it seems like there is a huge demand for used Triton gear and I suppose the sellers are selling to upgrade to newer models.
Doesn't seem like they have a problem with the colour.

Have fun............keep turnin

ozwinner
15th October 2003, 04:47 PM
Alright!!!!!!!!!
A Barbie table saw, where do I get one?
Cheers, Ken :D

Sturdee
15th October 2003, 05:08 PM
A Barbie table saw, where do I get one?

At your local toy store.

Peter.

DarrylF
15th October 2003, 11:33 PM
I knew someone would have to bite at the orange comment - glad to see you didn't disappoint John :)

BIGALH
8th December 2003, 11:36 PM
WHY PICK ON TIMBECON

LOTS OF PEOPLE IMPORT THE SAME STUFF
[ IDENTICAL EXEPT NAME] .
YES ITS PAINTED DIFFERANT COLORS
WHATS IN A NAME
WHATS IN A COLOR
I LOOK FOR QUALITY I CAN ALWAYS PAINT IT.

TIMBECON DO A GREAT JOB

NO I DONT WORK FOR THEM

BIGALH

Christopha
9th December 2003, 10:31 AM
Stop "Shouting"

Bigal, please take note of Neils' advice to you, if your lack of manners and ettiquette aren't attended to you will be banned. Your membership of this forum is very welcome as is everyones', we all get on well and share a great deal of experience and expertise in many different fields and that is the way we wish to continue. Capitals are a pain inna bum to read so please do the right thing.

nic
9th December 2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by BIGALH
I WRITE WITH CAPS ON SO I CAN SEE IT.

Have you tried the accessibility settings under Windows ?
How about chaning the resolution on your screen ?

I'm sure there are 101 other ways of seeing what you type without typings in caps.
This is a community everyone should try and accomodate with the rules.

Nic

JackoH
9th December 2003, 04:23 PM
BIGALH. How do you know the comments are rude if you don't read them?:confused:

Wongo
9th December 2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Termite
It would be interesting to hear them pronounce "quality control", maybe thats why they mostly dont bother with it.
So solly for racist slur.
Termite

That wasn't very nice!!

Stuart
10th December 2003, 11:36 PM
gatiep:

Not biting, just an observation/confirmation. Granted a number of Tritons being sold are by people who used them to get into this (passion) hobby, whatever it is to you, then have moved onto bigger, better & more expensive toys, and a great deal are upgrading to the current model, to benefit from the developments that have been incorporated.

Interesting observation: a significant number of these hold their value very well- to the point that if you bought at a good price, you may even get to use the item for a year or two, and still make a profit :)

BTW Christopha- I'm sure you'd love a new Orange Workbench to complement your other orange toys ;) Good catching up at the recent WWW show.

John G
11th December 2003, 08:50 PM
BIGALH,

I don't care if you use capitals. If you need it to see better, good for you.

However, there may be something else you can do to satisfy the whingers. In Explorer, if you go to View -> Text Size, you can change the size of all the fonts.

I like mine on "smaller" because some fonts are hard to read with "smallest".

The advantage is it makes all the writing bigger, not just what you type, so it makes everyone's writing easier to read. (Although with some people's posts, that's probably a disadvantage!)

I also don't care if you ignore this advice.

John.

Iain
15th January 2004, 07:25 PM
BIGALH JUST HAS A COMPLEX ABOUT LIVING IN WA
Just for the record, I did for a little while.
And before Derek responds, I used to work in the same field except forensic.
:D :D :D

Pete J
15th January 2004, 08:00 PM
'Onya Wongo

fxst
15th January 2004, 09:42 PM
FWIW this week my brother who lves in a different town ordered some gear from Timberconand they quickly emailed him prior to posting out to make sure it was the right address and not mine ....they do have good memories :) and I have only purchased a few small items from them
Good service I reckon
Pete

John Saxton
11th February 2004, 11:28 PM
Just a suggestion here guy's, that irrespective of the colour of the bride it's intended use is still the same.(with apologies to )

Cheers:)

journeyman Mick
12th February 2004, 12:44 AM
I've visited this thread a few times and I must say that I agree with Iain's original observation. No, the colour or name badge of a machine doesn't affect its performance, but that's not what Iain was saying. Colour and branding does affect sales however. Obviously it won't affect it as much when selling woodworking machinery as opposed to say, lipstick or breakfast cereal. But given the choice between two machines of the same quality, with the same features and capabilities at the same price I'm sure more people would pick the one that was more visually appealing and had a more attractive name. A colour and name change would cost little to implement and nothing in the long term but would probably translate to extra sales.
If I was in the market for a machine and thought theirs was the best value for money I'd buy it regardless of colour or badge, and if the colour truly offended me I'd respray it, but I'm sure not everybody would do this. However rational we think we might be, buying consumer products, especially when they are hobby or leisure orientated is highly emotive.
Just my 2c worth:)

Mick

rodm
12th February 2004, 02:31 PM
I agree Mick. If there was a choice between a white or orange Commodore Ute I would take the white one. I know this will not be everyones choice but what is pleasing to the eye does have a bearing on what we purchase.