PDA

View Full Version : Railway Spike Hat Rack

lockwood116
6th October 2007, 10:05 PM
Hi woodworkers. I saw a picture of a hat rack made with 3 rail spikes inserted into a slab of timber somewhere. Does anyone have an image that they could share.
Thanks, Lockwood116

mugwoody
7th October 2007, 06:32 PM
I have one of those hat racks which I inherited from my son who bought it at a charity auction.

Unfortunately it is currently resident on Flinders island and I won't be there until xmas.

However, the construction of same is fairly simple. It seems that the rail spikes were drilled and tapped in the end, then pulled into the piece of board with c/s head metalthread screws. The board was slightly relieved on the face side to appear that the spikes were inserted into the board.

Trust this is the info you are after.

Peter

weisyboy
7th October 2007, 07:17 PM
However, the construction of same is fairly simple. It seems that the rail spikes were drilled and tapped in the end, then pulled into the piece of board with c/s head metalthread screws. The board was slightly relieved on the face side to appear that the spikes were inserted into the board.

:doh:that sounds like a time consuming and unnessasary job drilling and taping all thows spikes.:doh:

i use old fence posts with 5 tramline spikes (smaller than railway spikes)driven into pre drilled holes.:doh:

Barry Hicks
7th October 2007, 07:31 PM
Lockwood 116,
Weisy has the right idea, drill an appropriate size hole and hammer the dog spike in the way nature intended. Thats the way the navvies did it.
If you want to impress people, you could always drill an undersize hole and break out a hammer and chisel and get yourself square holes.

Barry Hicks

Ramps
8th October 2007, 12:56 AM
I did as Barry said

I'll get a pic of it tomorrow