PDA

View Full Version : cutting alluminium

Gags_17
8th October 2007, 04:51 PM
hey guys
just wondering what approach i would need to take to cut some 1.5 mm alluminium? its 25mm by 50mm i have a 40tooth tct blade will that do the job? it is allmost brand new is there any lubricants etc.. needed

rod1949
8th October 2007, 04:59 PM
You'll probably find the 40 tooth to be too coarse and wan't grab and chuck it at you.

I have a 100 tooth specifically designed for cutting alunimuim of similar sizes as you have stated, in a drop saw.

Gags_17
8th October 2007, 06:48 PM
lol well i did it before you reply dam:( i cut it in the table saw to make a 10mm c from both sides it worked suprisingly well and thank god didnt come back at me i sprayed lot of wd40 on it though

BobL
8th October 2007, 07:16 PM
lol well i did it before you reply dam:( i cut it in the table saw to make a 10mm c from both sides it worked suprisingly well and thank god didnt come back at me i sprayed lot of wd40 on it though

If you need to do it again, with such a small piece of ally I would flat head nail or screw the piece to a longish piece of MDF - put the screws or nails around the edges of the ally. Then you can stand well back while you are doing it.

Lube - use hard candle wax, rub it on the blade and both sides of the teeth.

Gags_17
8th October 2007, 08:59 PM
oh ok makes sense while i was doin it i copped heaps of flying ally in the face n it kinds stings:rolleyes: what does the was actually do?

BobL
8th October 2007, 11:00 PM
oh ok makes sense while i was doin it i copped heaps of flying ally in the face n it kinds stings:rolleyes: what does the was actually do?

Owww . . . . . you should at least be wearing a full face mask. If one of those gets you in the eye you will need surgery. The ally chips can be like razor blades if you get a couple down inside your shirt and then lean on something they can penetrate soft tissue like a hot knife through butter. My BIL who works in an ally shop wears a full head shroud and face mask so this doesn't happen!

Gags_17
8th October 2007, 11:12 PM
oh dam definetley should have waited to read me replies first! thankfully no injury occured! im making a false top for my mk3 so that i can make bigger mitre cuts so far its coming along nicely! and suprisingly the blade was parralel to edge of the table about 0.5 mm tollerance. i used the ally to make my track for the mitre sleds

BobL
8th October 2007, 11:21 PM
oh dam definetley should have waited to read me replies first! thankfully no injury occured! im making a false top for my mk3 so that i can make bigger mitre cuts so far its coming along nicely! and suprisingly the blade was parralel to edge of the table about 0.5 mm tollerance. i used the ally to make my track for the mitre sleds

Love to see photos of the finished product.

Gags_17
9th October 2007, 08:36 PM
hey bobL this is the finished product i made the top last night and the mitre sled today. the mitre sled i got the idea off of my old gmc mitre sled but thought since all the mitre sleds are allways rounded i chose a point:rolleyes: suprisingly its cuts nice and square when alligned properly.