PDA

View Full Version : My sons bed is nearly finished!

flynnsart
8th October 2007, 11:22 PM
When I told my dad I was making my sons bed, he was shocked:doh:. What are you doing making his bed at his age (23)?

No dad, I am building it. But... as usual, these things take me a long time to do. Not just the building, but the big lapses between the actual building. This one has taken about two and a half years. At least it is quicker than the stool I made dad, which took around 6 or 7 years.:p

Anyway, the bed is made out of Eucalyptus crebra, and Eucalyptus territicornis. (Ironbark and Bluegum). I will post some pics when it is finished. :C Please dont hold your breath. It could be finished tomorow, or next decade.

Donna

RufflyRustic
9th October 2007, 09:55 AM
Hi Donna

My Dad is still waiting for a vest I was going to make him over 10 years ago:-. He's very patient!

Looking forward to the pictures of the bed.

cheers
Wendy

flynnsart
9th October 2007, 01:26 PM
Well I have decided to do the oiling before fitting the rails, so here is the bedhead and base with their first oil coats.

Donna

Priemsy
9th October 2007, 01:42 PM
That's very nice Donna. Could you tell me how you did the top of the head? Did you bend it?

Paul

flynnsart
9th October 2007, 02:32 PM
The top of the bedhead is two peices cut on the bandsaw and joined in the middle. It is about 35mm thick, so bending ironbark that thick is out of the question, unless I was to laminate it. Mind you it was a nightmare to get the join right. It is rebated underneath and mortice cut in ends where the legs join. The panel is joined to the top, but can move up and down in its mortice on the sides. Hopefully this will stop it splitting along the joins.

Donna

robynmau
10th October 2007, 09:41 AM
Hi Donna

What a very lucky son, that looks just beautiful :2tsup: Definately worthy of becoming a family heirloom:roll:

Cheers

Robyn

munruben
10th October 2007, 07:39 PM
Congratulations, nice work:2tsup:

s_m
11th October 2007, 11:31 PM
Hey Donna that looks lovely! :2tsup:

I still haven't started my daughter's bed which I was hoping would be finished this year. But I guess she is not even 4 yet so I still have 19 years up my sleeve :P!

Oh I guess I have started it if you count cleaning nails out of all the spotted gum I salvaged from next door's renovation! I was going to buy recycled timber for her bed but I now have about 1/2 cubic metre of 30yo house framing stashed under our house.

Steph

Clinton1
12th October 2007, 11:26 AM
Donna,
Very nice bed, good design, not overdone, solid and 'real' looking.

Any idea of the weight of the bed head?

flynnsart
13th October 2007, 09:39 AM
The bed foot weighs 27kg, so I reckon the head would be around the 32 to 35kg area.

Donna

Scally
13th October 2007, 12:34 PM
Ironbark and Bluegum............good solid timber for a young blokes bed.

The top adds a lot of style to the bedhead.

One of my daughters asked me to make her a bed a few years ago.
My excuse is that I am waiting for her to come back from overseas.

dgc56
8th February 2008, 08:06 PM
Hey Donna,

Can I ask what oil you used for your bed?

I'm currently making a bed out of Ironbark timber slabs and I'm a bit unsure what finish to use on it!

Incoming!
8th February 2008, 08:34 PM
Looks great. Congratulations and I look forward to seeing the completed piece.

wheelinround
9th February 2008, 08:51 AM
Hi Donna

My Dad is still waiting for a vest I was going to make him over 10 years ago:-. He's very patient!

Looking forward to the pictures of the bed.

cheers
Wendy

Now that I'd like to see Wendy a wooden vest :D maybe one out of those bead things

flynnsart
9th February 2008, 06:24 PM
I did forget to post pics of the finished bed in here, but you can see it in the post about the bedside table I made to match it here: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=64985
I hope that works. He hasnt got the right sized mattress yet for it, it was made for a thicker queen sized one and he only has a thin double on it.

Both finished in Tung oil and traditional wax.

Donna

Incoming!
10th February 2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the link Donna - I haven't got as far as the piccie forum yet. It's a gorgeous piece.

flynnsart
10th February 2008, 04:51 PM
Beware Leanne, these forums are addictive, and you spend waaaaayyyyy too much time reading all the posts. But you learn a lot, and get to talk to a lot of great people.

Donna