PDA

View Full Version : Router on lathe

beverard
9th October 2007, 02:59 AM
Hi All,

I know that there are jis to add to a wood lathe that will follow a pattern, but I wouldlike to make something that uses my plung router. The only worrry that I have (so far), it that the router will take a pounding from the wood, at least until it gets rounded off. Any ideas, thoughts or experiences?

Thanks,

Bruce (61 and still sky diving)

masher
9th October 2007, 10:37 AM
With regards to the pounding, why not round off your timber normally first and then mount the router?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th October 2007, 07:50 PM
I strongly recommend that if you do this, do NOT turn the lathe on!

Either rotate the blank by hand, or set up a second motor that'll run it at around 6RPM and not 600RPM. Rose engines are typically hand-turned, but there are some that are motor driven. They only run at low rev though, because usually only a fine router bit is used and even though it typically only cuts a mm or two deep, it still doesn't cut very fast laterally without risk of breakage.

I mean, you don't whizz a hand-held router over a wooden panel at 60MPH without expecting disaster, so why would you expect the lathe to whizz it past at that speed safely? :?

And if you're hand-turning the lathe, then there's no problem with pounding the router. :) But rounding it with a roughing gouge first would be far quicker...

powderpost
9th October 2007, 09:41 PM
Most definetaly follow Skews advise. Do NOT run the lathe.
Jim

beverard
10th October 2007, 06:05 AM
Thanks - I get the message! Probably saved some part of my body!

Bruce

damienhazo
10th October 2007, 09:38 AM
Trend made a router lathe for ornate table legs etc. Apparently, after a bit of finicky set up, one was able to rout corkscrews etc...

Must have been too tricky 'cause they discontinued it...

John Saxton
10th October 2007, 08:56 PM
Hi Beverard,have a squizz at this site it may give you some assistancce.

http://www.twistedtimber.net/howto/twistwood.html

Not saying it's the ducks nuts but it might point you in the right direction!

Cheers:)

beverard
13th October 2007, 05:30 AM
Thanks - that's what I was looking for.

Bruce

joe greiner
28th November 2007, 12:58 AM
Here's a low-speed auxiliary drive I made for dripless/runless coating on the lathe. The motor is from a rotisserie, 5rpm. The driveshaft is a wood dowel, square at one end to mate with the rotisserie motor, and a very long taper at the headstock to engage the outboard end of the headstock spindle - substantially self-threading so you don't need to find a weird threading die or turn the threads by hand. Match the rotation of the rotisserie motor to the spindle threads; the rotisserie motors seem to be made both CW and CCW (or ACW if you like). Set the lathe speed at highest to reduce passive load from the lathe motor, but don't turn the lathe motor on; in fact, probably best to unplug the lathe motor. Something like this would also work for a rose engine or your immediate application.

Joe