PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom Disaster Area

Lilly
9th October 2007, 10:40 AM
Hi all ,

I have recently started renovating a house which was completely trashed by the renters that had been living in it . I am talking trashed to the point where demolition would have been almost an option .The bathroom has become the first of my sticking points as my finances are small to say the least so I was hoping for some advice .

The tiles in the shower recess on the walls have a few of them that had been smashed with maybe a hammer? Unfortunately they were not stuck on with tile adhesive . It looks like mortar but I have no idea really , all I know is that I can't seem to get them off . I was considering tiling over the top of them but that leaves me with lots of issues re taps etc . I could smash the whole lot down re gyprock the walls then re tile but that would be pricey I am picking .

I know this is a long shot but does anyone have an alternative idea ?

Thanks Lyl :)

totoblue
9th October 2007, 01:39 PM
If it is still waterproof, you could fill the holes with suitable filler (grout or two part filler?) and cover with Laminex wet area panelling or similar product from another manufacturer.

IIRC Laminex wet area panelling used to be called Lamipanel. It is a laminate like is used on kitchen bench tops but it is designed for wet areas. Because it is thin, it shouldn't cause any problem with tap clearance.

You might want to call the Laminex advice line to see if it is suitable.
http://www.laminex.com.au/contactus.aspx

rmartens
9th October 2007, 09:19 PM
I would second to what totoblue is saying that seems to be the way to go. Patch up the damaged tiles flush to the tiling with a float coat with waterproof in it. So fill in all gaps flush so the laminex has a fluch surface to stick to. Any other way will mean removing tiles with a jackhammer and retiling but that may equate to costing. Good luck

Lilly
10th October 2007, 08:30 AM
Thanks very much for the wonderful advice :U. I just went to the site and had a read and it looks perfect ! Will call them today and post the info and pricing on here for anyone else that may need it . Thanks again !