PDA

View Full Version : Give me a project!

Al Kilgour
9th October 2007, 04:45 PM
Hey guys, I have just completed building a deck in my backyard and doing that has re-ignited a long lost passion for just building "stuff".

I used this forum whilst building my deck and found it very helpful so heres the challenge...

I would love to suprise the wife with a nice piece of furniture that i have made myself. Ideally i would love to make a buffet and hutch however that is probably too hard for a first project. I was thinking maybe a coffee table or wine rack.

I have very limited skills and tools however i can pick things up quickly. You guys have a wealth of experience and i was wondering if you could advise me on a relatively easy project that would impress the wife....

Also would it be too hard for a pen pusher to start by making a basic queen size bed?

Anyway hit me up with a project guys and gals :)

RufflyRustic
9th October 2007, 05:06 PM
Just finished the deck? How about a jack 'n jill seat for the deck so you and your wife can enjoy the deck even more :)

http://www.wolmanizedwood.com/chair.gif

Here's an easy and very basic chair design. I've built three of these so far, two with an interconnecting table.

cheers
Wendy

Al Kilgour
9th October 2007, 05:16 PM
Great idea Wendy however i really was hoping for some indoor furniture. Thanks for the link anyway :)

Wild Dingo
9th October 2007, 06:46 PM
Just finished the deck? How about a jack 'n jill seat for the deck so you and your wife can enjoy the deck even more :)

http://www.wolmanizedwood.com/chair.gif

Here's an easy and very basic chair design. I've built three of these so far, two with an interconnecting table.

cheers
Wendy

Now THAT is just what I was looking for... Thanks Wendy!! :; :2tsup:

What about a side or hall table? simple relatively easy but with as much a degree of difficulty as you decide to put into it? they also allow for a bit of pizazz and as much style class and shape as you choose... check out Rockers... mmm on second thought hes havin issues with his check out the search function for hall table theres been a few of us make them.

A wine rack? well then go raid the nearest horse stables for their old horse shoes spot weld the buggars together to make as many bottle holders as you wish (make 2 x whatever number of bottles you have) then make a sweeet timber frame and stand for it... whallah!

A bed?... mmmm Im not sure on a bed... and I gotta keep sayin that although makin one would be pretty easy Ive got a whole swag of girls that have all asked me to make them a "big beautiful princess style 4 poster double daddy" :2tsup: yeah like I got time to make friggin 6 of the things :~ when I havent even made her bloody highness one!! :doh:

A set of side tables for the living room with a matching coffee table would be the go eh?... do some marquetry on the tops some lathe work for the legs a real sexy timber style and look?... why not!! :2tsup:

Go for broke!!

And Wendy? cheers sweets! :2tsup:

Tonyz
9th October 2007, 09:21 PM
I read your heading and thought hell go and clean the garage floor for Ozeb shesh for gawds sake but I sure like Rufflys idea better.

BrettC
9th October 2007, 10:40 PM
Agree with Dingo a hall table is a great project, table construction is not too difficult (no doors or drawers to fit). You can add a drawer to increase the level of difficulty but it should look fine without.

A search of this forum under hall table should give you a guide. Like Dingo says you can really go as easy or difficult as you want (inlay etc...).

But don't limit yourself to that. What do ya need in the house? think of the room then go for it - butchers block? bread box? medicine cabinet for bathroom, bed - why not - just more wood and you would need to ensure you had access to relatively straight boards or get them to size (joint / thickness) them for you.

Have a go then show us the pics....:2tsup:

blockhed
10th October 2007, 12:04 AM
:U
a linen chest for the bedroom is always popular.
i wrapped some old floor boards around a rectangular frame one time(don't know where the frame came from)
still looks good, but i'm going to put a curved lid on top at some stage.
regards
the block
:U

Harry72
10th October 2007, 02:53 AM
Some planter boxes made from the deck left overs... always a hit and super simple to make.