PDA

View Full Version : Hot Tape Tip!

TTIT
10th October 2007, 02:28 PM
Well OK, not that hot, but it might be handy to someone :shrug:
When I'm filling voids with powder (brass, ebony etc) and it starts pouring out elsewhere I used to block the hole with masking tape cos' it was handy and cheap. Problem is when the CA hits the adhesive on the tape it goes to crud and is hard to clean up. Finally got fed up and tried a few other types of tape to see if there was a better solution - and found it! All-Weather tape is definitely the way to go :2tsup: Comes away from the CA cleanly and easily - virtually nothing to clean up or grind away. As an added bonus, it's clear(ish) so you can see whats happening with the powder too so you know if you've used enough CA to flood right through. Works for me! :U

OGYT
10th October 2007, 02:47 PM
Sounds good Vern! What's All-Weather tape? Is that what we call cellophane?

TTIT
10th October 2007, 02:53 PM
Sounds good Vern! What's All-Weather tape? Is that what we call cellophane?
I just knew someone would get all technical and ask that:C:B. All I can tell you is that it's UV stabilized for outdoor use Al and the package is marked 'All Weather tape'. I'm just about out of the 'Sellotape' brand so just bought what I hope is the same thing in 'Nortons' brand. You guy's should have something similar up there :shrug:

OGYT
10th October 2007, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the info, Vern. Norton's sells here in seppoland, so I oughta be able to find it. We have something... about 2 inches wide... that's used to wrap packages for posting, so that may be something like yours. The name, 'Sellotape', sounds like it might be an Oz version of cellophane... :)
I've used Duct tape before, but it's hard to remove from the inside of a vase.

TTIT
10th October 2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the info, Vern. Norton's sells here in seppoland, so I oughta be able to find it. We have something... about 2 inches wide... that's used to wrap packages for posting, so that may be something like yours. The name, 'Sellotape', sounds like it might be an Oz version of cellophane... :)
I've used Duct tape before, but it's hard to remove from the inside of a vase.'Sellotape' is the brand name but I can't find the AllWeather tape on their website - I didn't realise I'd had it so long that it's gone out of production maybe :shrug: The duct tape was another I tried and it went all horrible, worse than masking tape - even the plastic part wouldn't pull away :C

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th October 2007, 06:06 PM
Yeah, duct tape and CA ain't a good mix. Especially not Norton's "Bear" stamp. :(

I've used Duct tape before, but it's hard to remove from the inside of a vase.

Not so hard. I like to melt beeswax and pour it inside my hollow forms, to both ensure it's sealed internally and to foil certain fellow turners who like to use a stick or wire to probe for "rough spots" on the inside. :q

Recently I forgot about some duct tape I'd put inside one of my "cheating forms" (hollowing from the bottom) when filling voids, and glued the base on without removing it. Of course, once I poured the hot wax in the tape came adrift and started rattling around. :rolleyes: The hard part was getting it out through the neck before the beeswax set...

This time I didn't manage it, but at least it gives the "probing" turners something interesting to discover. :B

ihog
10th October 2007, 09:10 PM
Something like this ?

http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSite/pages/product/product.asp?prod=BPAW&cookie%5Ftest=1

Or this

http://www.industrysearch.com.au/Products/HUSKY_-_All_Weather_Tape-8391

TTIT
10th October 2007, 10:55 PM
........certain fellow turners who like to use a stick or wire to probe for "rough spots" on the inside. :q
..............Nosey buggers :~ What a cheek :o I know where the stick would end up if it were up to me!!!:;