PDA

View Full Version : Kemppi Miniarcmig Adaptive 180.

matikag
10th October 2007, 11:35 PM
Good evening, all. I build Rolling Ball Sculptures (YouTube - 'Controlled Chaos' Segment 3.) out of 4mm ms rod which I have to butt join. The only MIG experience I have had to this point was with a small unit without gas and was very disappointing. I have been wanting to get a good MIG welder with a view to making neater welds with less mess than I have been able to do with my stick welder. I can afford to spend up to $2000.00 but I want to make sure I get the best unit for the money. The Kemppi Miniarcmig Adaptive 180 has been mentioned favourably on this forum on June 28th 2006 and also on 4th July 2006 and I was wondering if anyone has now had extensive use of one of these and if they would recommend one. Any input would be most appreciated. Mark

Grahame Collins
11th October 2007, 07:09 AM
Hi matikag,
Yes I have one of them. No I have not extensive use of it but am experienced enough to tell you that as a mig beginner,it will suit a learner well.

As probably know by now that the unit can be set up to set up its own current values when you enter the material type and thickness into the display screen.
It caters for the more experienced by allowing an overide mode where one can set their own values (ie wire speed and voltage)
It is very lightweight and is suitable for Mild steel, stainless steel ,flux core and aluminium .

In its class I think it stands alone as I believe there are not any other units that encompass the light weight,the versatility,and ease of use.

Being an inverter power supply is not an issue as it can be with bigger machines.

If your vendor is fair dinkum they should let you try before your buy. Bear in mind however that it range of thickness that can be welded is probably limited to around 6mm max.

Negatives ? None apart from the fact that it is an expensive machine and not supplied with a gas regulator.

Grahame

matikag
11th October 2007, 08:26 AM
Hi Grahame, thank you for taking the time to respond. I had not realised, until I read your post, that a regulator was not part of the package. I will have to 'negotiate' and see what is offered. BOC have said that it will be fine to try the machine out in their test area. Am hoping to do that today. All the best, Mark

peter_sm
11th October 2007, 07:43 PM
I got a Weldmaster 195 from Rotary Tools in Campbellfield. They are pretty close to you. On full amps, it has a pretty good duty cycle, can take 15kg wire reels, hold a large size gas bottle, comes with a good quality regulator, and Weldmaster supply a good range of aftermarket parts for all welders, including their own range. A couple of the features I liked about the unit were the 12 separate power settings and the spot timer, which allows you to pull trigger and time weld to stop after a specific number of seconds.

http://www.rotools.com.au/

Rotary Tools is located at
490 Mahoneys Rd
Campbellfield, VIC. 3061
Ph (03) 9357 1344
fax (03) 9357 3067
e-mail [email protected]

mrstevo
11th October 2007, 08:29 PM
And the weldmaster 190 is currently on special in the current Tradesmart Industrial Group catalogue, (Rotary Tools is aTradesmart agent), 190 amp welmaster mig, auto darkening 9-13 variable shade helmet, pair of welding gloves, chipping hammer and 10 x 0.8 contact tips, all for $1355, sounds good value to me.

peter_sm
12th October 2007, 09:07 PM
That is exactly what I got, from their Tradesmart catalogue. 190 not in stock anymore, you will get the updated 195. Similar, but has an adjustable burnback control preset in the machine.