PDA

View Full Version : Another CNC Router Brisbane Based

WillyInBris
11th October 2007, 05:59 PM
Well hi peoples I haven't been around much in the last few months as I have been building a CNC Router with the help of Perth based CNC home Master builder RODM :D.

You may ask why and its a very simple answer, I am a bit or a nerd and enjoy being creative but I don't seem to have many creative bones in my body well when it comes to carving and engraving etc so bringing these to things together and learning about something whilst I build it and learn skills on the way has been fantastic and kept me out of trouble with the Mrs.

Anyway some time ago I sent an email to RODM (Rod) and asked for his help in getting started, well he did more then that he has been fantastic and has been a mentor to me through this whole project :2tsup: once again thanks Rod.

I will warn anyone trying to build a CNC machine it isn't a cheap exercise and you get what you pay for but its worth every cent in the long run, well I am blabbering I will use this and do a bit of a build log on this thread for anyone that interested.

:D

Sean

WillyInBris
11th October 2007, 06:18 PM
First I Started to build the Bed/Table thingy what ever you call it, the wife called it Westinghouse because it was so heavy like those good old fridges we have all moved one time or another.

This was I would say one of the longest parts, first all the metal had to be cut I used a metal cut off saw everything needed to be kept straight and within a mm so that took time, also all the joints needed to me Tapped for the socket head screws.

I lost count how many wholes I tapped, probably a couple of hundred but it was a therapeutic experience :q

Next time I will purchase a metal cutting Bandsaw that would make it a lot easier.

Bench with everything set out and some of the tapping done.

WillyInBris
11th October 2007, 06:32 PM
Next was to assemble the bed and measure check if square measure check oh and did I say check again.

Everything needs to be kept square otherwise problems will arise down the track and if they do yo don't want it to be to big an issue that you cant fix it up on the fly.

WillyInBris
11th October 2007, 06:44 PM
Next was to fit the linear bearings to the sides I was a bit daunted by this but after a email from sen-say Rod all was well very simple solution make a MDF template to hold the bearings on both sides.

I also had to cut a whole in the front for the X axis linear actuator thats was a bugger to do if you don't have the right tools and I didn't :doh:.

WillyInBris
11th October 2007, 06:56 PM
A picture of the bed and linear actuator sitting on top this is installed under the bed and the gantry connects to it this is a simple way of driving a whole axis as its pre built kept this part very simple the way i like it :D.

WillyInBris
11th October 2007, 07:02 PM
Next came time to take it all to bits and Paint it minor problem that I didn't tell you about Rod I painted over my numbers so it turned it a jigsaw to put back together.

lol lost the plot that night big time :C.

WillyInBris
11th October 2007, 07:11 PM
Next was rime to build the gantry sides, what i did was after a bit of consultation was do the shapes on a cad program then saved it as a JPG imported it into publisher into a poster then printed it out using the Overlap printing with no size change.

That way I had an exactly sized template, then cut the 10mm aluminium plate on the Bandsaw was blown away that it cut like butter and didn't do much damage to the blade either.:2tsup:

WillyInBris
11th October 2007, 07:22 PM
Next was to install the gantry and see if it slides and it did :D

Slept well that night for sure.

WillyInBris
11th October 2007, 07:45 PM
Next was adding the Y axis actuator and then the z axis actuator then hooking up the stepper motors and controller and watching it make its first moves, it all happened in a blur over a weekend.

neilb
11th October 2007, 07:48 PM
Good stuff ! I have PM'd you Willy. :2tsup:
Neil.

WillyInBris
11th October 2007, 08:29 PM
Some pics of the console I put together last weekend to mount the Stepper driver as well as the power supply in, a bit safer for the machine and also I then having wires hanging out everywhere all over the bench.

WillyInBris
11th October 2007, 08:34 PM
Last of all for tonight A pic of it all together :2tsup:.

Still more work to do a few things to work out still need to square away the cables to the Steppers etc.

But its all fun.

Sean

Woodlee
11th October 2007, 10:35 PM
Awesome,well done .

rodm
12th October 2007, 02:42 AM
Hi Sean,

Thanks for taking the time to post your build log. We might get a bit more interest in these yet. I'm not going to give you anymore compliments as you might get big headed and your SWMBO will be after my blood for causing it. :D

I smiled at you painting over the numbering as we all do these sorts of things - I think I have made every mistake you can but I am sure to find a few new ones in the next build. :)

I hope you enjoyed the journey and the machine sees plenty of work in the future. :2tsup:

les88
12th October 2007, 06:54 AM
A great piece of machinery well done:2tsup::2tsup:
les

WillyInBris
13th October 2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the comments guys much appreciated.

Got in trouble from the wife Neil for not showing her your Lapys lol I told her you will bring over next time for a bit more of a show and tell.

Sean

elevalther
7th November 2008, 03:49 AM
Hi WillyinBris / Sean

That was really a beatty you ended up with.

I know I can be a little bit heavy, but you all ready send me a long list of differents suppliers, and I will go though them deffently,

But is there and easy beginner kit according to price, and easy to use software
Br

Valther