PDA

View Full Version : Cyclones....a Different Twist

Termite
17th October 2003, 08:55 AM
With serious intent to build a cyclone I have read all the posts on this subject and have come to the conclusion that all the problems that people are having with dust escaping from the system is due to unhappy dust.
The designs so far have all had the rotation in a clockwise direction, and while this is fine for the Northern Hemisphere, down here the natural way of things is anti-clockwise. eg. bathwater, real cyclones, even the Dyson dust goes this way.
So we have the following examples.

1. HAPPY DUST. Sawdust sweeties, you need to move, so I have made you this sweet little thingy that will help you dance around anti-clockwise the way you like to until you get tired, then you can settle down to the bottom of your new home and have a rest.

2.UNHAPPY DUST. Achtung! Sawdustundcrap, you vil line oop und do as I zay. You vil all get zucked oop und taken to a place ov storage, und you vil do it my vay! Clockvise! You vil do it zis vay because I haf a 2 horzenpuffer zuckermachinen to make you, und I also know you haff rrrelatives living in ze East Forrest. Zo, get rrrotated!

Seig.....sorry Regards Termite

Dont know what inspired this piece. Might have been the leaves I had for a salad with my mahogany last night. My son said they should have been smoked, but they tasted fine to me just plain.

ozwinner
17th October 2003, 05:21 PM
Keep taken those pills...........:D

ndru
17th October 2003, 06:29 PM
http://www.my-smileys.de/eek5_2.gif Please, do NOT operate any machinery...

Marc
17th October 2003, 09:12 PM
Hi Termite, you cleary must have chewed some Eichen Holtz from Schwarzwald that was not fresh.

Jokes aside, has anyone thoght that a secondary ciclone, possibly much smaller could take care of the small dust that escapes the first?

echnidna
18th October 2003, 09:30 PM
Termite's got it right about the different swirl direction in the southern hemisphere. So US plans should be built mirror reversed in oz.
Cyclones cannot get all the dust and for cleaner air filters or possibly scrubbers must be used.
But a cyclones efficiency can be improved by increasing the length of the cone.

Wayne Davy
19th October 2003, 04:25 PM
echnidna,

It does not matter which direction the air in the Cyclone is going. Oneida in the USA make Cyclone in both left and right inlet positions so as to accomodate different installation positions - thats all.

You are correct that a longer cone is desirable but only up to a point of about 3 times the height of the Top Drum. This is the optimum cone length and anything longer will actually degrade the Cyclone performance.

Wayne Davy
19th October 2003, 04:27 PM
Termite,

I dont know what you are on but keep taking it! :D :D :D

Wayne Davy
20th October 2003, 12:53 PM
Marc,

Your idea of a secondary Cyclone would not provide any benefit really. In fact, it would probably reduce the suction of the main unit as some air power is required to 'run' the Cyclone and introducing another one in line will, obviously, increase the power required.

Also, any dust fine enough to escape the first Cyclone would not be picked up by the second one in any case - it would just pass though again.

Good thought but not feasible imho.

Termite
20th October 2003, 01:10 PM
I'm on life mate. Had a close call a few months ago and now the only thing I get serious about is my woodwork.
Regards
Termite:p :p :p :p :D :D

silentC
20th October 2003, 01:41 PM
According to what I've read:

The rotation of the earth does affect the rotational direction of a real cyclone but the coriolis effect will not have a discernible impact on the little one in your garage.

The same goes for water going down a spout. Apparently this is a fallacy as no-one has ever been able to demonstrate that water will consistently go in a particular direction in the northern hemisphere and the opposite in the south. Instead, they say it is determined by a number of factors including the direction in which the water was poured into the basin, the shape of the bowl and whatever swirling motion you might have set up when you washed your hands.

The coriolis effect has an influence of one rotation per day, which is nowhere near enough to have an impact on something swirling as fast as water running out a plug hole, or a cyclone dust extractor for that matter.

So there you go.