PDA

View Full Version : Speeds on a MC1100

HappyHammer
12th October 2007, 01:32 PM
Does anyone know what each of the preset speeds are on a MC1100. I know the lowest one is 500 and the highest 2000, anyone know what the ones in between are?

HH.

arose62
12th October 2007, 02:05 PM
HH, I don't think they are fixed (as in "the same on every lathe").

There are a few variables which could impact the speeds - handle position, the position of the toothed rack, the settings of each of the variable pulleys.

I bought a cheap clone from SCA, and the speed was the same (unchanged) no matter where I moved the speed selector to!!!
Turns out the rear pulley shaft was badly chewed, so the rear pulley wasn't moving at all.

There have been discussions about fitting tachometers, but no simple "best" solution.

Have a look at this thread for maintenance tips:
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=14400

Cheers,
Andrew

DJ’s Timber
12th October 2007, 02:50 PM
I think from memory the speeds are pretty much divided evenly between the lower & higher speed.

So you need to count how many notches there is and then divide it up to get your average which you then add on to the lowest and work up.

For example if you've got 5 notches between the 500 & 2000 notches, that means the average is 250rpm between notches

rodent
12th October 2007, 05:58 PM
does it really matter ,I had the same problems when i first got my mc 1100 . but if it doesn't vibrate fly apart and its turning well it's working fine . Start slow speed up too a comfortable speed leave there and turn . tadaaa. see works fine pri###% & ** oh well.:doh: