PDA

View Full Version : Been Playing

lubbing5cherubs
13th October 2007, 11:57 PM
Hi Guys, I have been playing with this. I am very happy with the shape. NIce fit on the box but the box needs more sanding I think it is really hard to do on these shape. Would appreciate some tips on this.
What your thoughts
Toni

Captain Chaos
14th October 2007, 12:58 AM
Hi Toni, well done. I like the shape of the box.:bgth: When turning pinus crapiata it is possible to get a good finish straight off the tool without having to resort to major reshaping ( :B ) with sandpaper. The tool(s) must be sharp, and light planing or shear cuts only are used when finish turning the box. Pine can be a bitza to turn if the tools are not really sharp, or used in a scraping fashion resulting in tear out.
Hope that this is of a little help to you.
Regards,
Barry.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th October 2007, 01:10 AM
Yeah, as Barry said, radiata can be a right beggar to get a good finish off the tool. Especially end-grain hollowing... [shudder] But it's also good stuff for practicing your tool techniques on, 'cos when you can do a piece without tear-out you know you're doing it right! :D

You going to branch out into boxes and give me some competition there too, now? :wink: Just as a matter of curiosity, what tools did you use? Skew? Spindle gouge?

lubbing5cherubs
14th October 2007, 01:14 AM
skew I do not own a spindle gouge well I don't think i do. but I should start to learn more. I have today joined up with the local wood turning club
bye
Toni

ss_11000
14th October 2007, 01:18 AM
You've got some tool marks, sanding marks and tear out but you already know that. its got a nice shape to it as well, i prefer the 'step' from the lid to the box rather than the smooth transition so good onya:2tsup: well done on getting the fit right to:clap:.

keep practising on ya photos tho :2tsup:

ss_11000
14th October 2007, 01:20 AM
skew I do not own a spindle gouge well I don't think i do. but I should start to learn more. I have today joined up with the local wood turning club
bye
Toni
good onya for joining the club:2tsup: more people to show off ya work to:cool:

so what tool did you use??? bowl gouge, roughing gouge, skew, scraper?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th October 2007, 01:36 AM
I have today joined up with the local wood turning club

Good stuff! It really is the best way to learn... with someone there to show you. I'm also pretty confident that you'll be able to teach them a thing or two, too. :)

BTW, spindle gouges (AKA detail gouges) look much like a flattened roughing gouge.

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Turning_Tools/Spindle_Gouges/spindle_gouges.html

lubbing5cherubs
14th October 2007, 08:21 AM
thanks Guys
AH HUH Skew now i seen a picture I have got that that the little tool I used for hollowing it. Everything else sent it to go flying out the chuck :o
that was not truly exciting
TOni

weisyboy
14th October 2007, 09:42 AM
nice work toni

love the shape.

start sanding at 80 grit keeping the paper moving all the time work you way down the grits. dont change grits untill alll marks for the previouse grit are gone.

p.s have you used that camphor yet??

lubbing5cherubs
14th October 2007, 10:08 AM
not yet. The slab has cracked on me though. Should I cut the shape and seal it abit??
Toni

weisyboy
14th October 2007, 11:13 AM
shouldnt of cracked must be the change in humidity.

seal it with cheep varnish should stop it.

how is it stored????

lubbing5cherubs
14th October 2007, 02:06 PM
under the house.
Standing it on it end
is that ok??
Toni

rsser
14th October 2007, 02:19 PM
Onya Toni.

As far as sanding goes, that piece is a good candidate for a 2" velcro topped power sanding disc in a drill. The foam under the velcro will compress and with a bit of care will give you a curve matching your form. Use the body to swing around the piece with the drill held firmly and elbows clamped to your sides.

Hope this helps.

Gra
14th October 2007, 02:53 PM
Onya Toni.

As far as sanding goes, that piece is a good candidate for a 2" velcro topped power sanding disc in a drill. The foam under the velcro will compress and with a bit of care will give you a curve matching your form. Use the body to swing around the piece with the drill held firmly and elbows clamped to your sides.

Hope this helps.

You could also try one of the non powered one UBeaut sell. They are basically the same sanding pad with a handle, the turning of the timber spins the disk/Sanding pad. I picked one up yesterday. Just got to get some time in the shed to play with it

rsser
14th October 2007, 03:20 PM
True. Bit slow for deep marks perhaps?

Richard Raffan was powersanding his bowl on Friday up to 240 or 320, then switching to the rotary sander.