PDA

View Full Version : Gas Powered Camping Fridge - Recommendations please

Ruddigar
14th October 2007, 09:03 PM
Hi kids,

I am looking at purchasing one of them gas operated type camping fridges. Anyone have any recommendations? Pet hates? Anything I need to look out for?

A thousand thank you's :bowdown:

Howdya do that
15th October 2007, 02:33 PM
Dear Ruddy,

You will fing heaps of stuff here (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=gas+fridge&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryAU)

Paying the electricity bill is much easier though.

Ruddigar
15th October 2007, 05:10 PM
You will fing heaps of stuff here (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=gas+fridge&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryAU)

Been there, looked at heaps of stuff. Didn't "fing" much though. :?

Yes - you can google 'gas fridges' but all the results are from people trying to sell you their product. I thought it may be more beneficial to get feedback from peoples that have used gas fridges in the past, or bought one recently.

Thanks for the bump. Now get back in your hole. :wink:

dazzler
15th October 2007, 05:31 PM
Cant help much but the old man toured the top end and bought a new car fridge and was told to get one that had a "tropical compressor".

Just look for one holding a drink with an umbrella in it :D.

Howdya do that
15th October 2007, 05:55 PM
Why do you want gas?

Ruddigar
15th October 2007, 09:42 PM
Why do you want gas?
I don't. I'm just cursed by it. :-

Oh wait - you mean for the fridge?

I intend to camp outside of powered sites, and gas seems to be a viable option. Carry a 9kg bottle around which can (apparently) last up to two weeks for a small fridge.

But this is why I am asking.......feel free to tell me I am wrong folks! I am really after some feedback! :2tsup:

RETIRED
17th October 2007, 08:06 AM
We have a couple of members in our motorhome group that use the portable type gas fridges.

They work well and in this instance are far more efficient and cheaper to run than 12V models.

Start the fridge at home to cool it down before you leave. Load it up. Stack blankets or sleeping bags on top and around it. Start it up as soon as you get where you are going.

DO NOT RUN IN AN ENCLOSED SPACE.

David L
12th December 2007, 06:44 PM
We have an old Chescold Mk 2(brown one)3 way Fridge freezer 40Ltr and it is beaut. Will freeze every thing over night including lettuce,boiled eggs,& drinks if we run it too high. We put cold stuff in it and cool it down at home on 240v then put our food in cold. Always have something in it when running even it is only crumpled up news paper they work better.
It stays cold as we travel with blankets etc around it. And will run for up to 30 days on 9Kg when camping and turned to cool.

Previously we had a 90Lt caravan fridge we used for years when the kids were with us and it was great. No running after ice for us.