PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Mill This ?

BUNTA
15th October 2007, 10:54 AM
i have a lucas mill which i can slab 5 1/2 foot wide but this is a little bigger.
i was thinking of trying to take boards off two sides then rolling it so i can slab it ???:?

DJ’s Timber
15th October 2007, 11:51 AM
You could always buy a longer bar and modify your mill :whistling: :innocent:like I did for the boys at the mill to cut the huge Redgum log we cut a couple of years ago.

Which slabber have you got? Dedicated or attchment, can be done with the dedicated but not the attachment as there is not enough room.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24752&d=1149942876

Ianab
15th October 2007, 11:53 AM
I see what ya mean :oo:

If you have some way of rolling the thing around then I guess you could set your mill up on blocks or cribbing and whittle some off the top. If you are prepared to move the mill sideways during a layer you can handle a bigger log than the book says. :wink:

Then roll the thing over and whittle away the other side untill you have a 5'6" thick slab.

Roll that 90deg and slab.

A lot of hard work, but I bet there are some NICE slabs inside that beast. :D

Cheers

Ian

BUNTA
15th October 2007, 12:48 PM
My slabber is the attachment style & i have extensions for my mill to make it 8 mtrs long but i might try propping my mill up & nock some boards off both sides then roll again.
here is some i did this weekend. 4.5 long average 900 wide 75 thick.

BobL
15th October 2007, 07:14 PM
My slabber is the attachment style & i have extensions for my mill to make it 8 mtrs long but i might try propping my mill up & nock some boards off both sides then roll again.
here is some i did this weekend. 4.5 long average 900 wide 75 thick.

NICE!!

That's a heavy slab, how are you moving em?

BUNTA
16th October 2007, 09:12 AM
Hi Bob
i use pieces of 40mm pipe 500 long & crowbar one end of the slab up & run about 3 bits under the slab & it skates along the pipes like its on wheels.
with the trailer backed up to the slab i dont have far to move them.

BobL
16th October 2007, 11:24 AM
Hi Bob
i use pieces of 40mm pipe 500 long & crowbar one end of the slab up & run about 3 bits under the slab & it skates along the pipes like its on wheels.
with the trailer backed up to the slab i dont have far to move them.

Crafty, I'll have to remember that! :2tsup:

weisyboy
16th October 2007, 09:25 PM
yer just slice peices of the side untill you get it small enough to get in ya mill.

i would be taking some end grain slabs off that stump to.

BUNTA
18th October 2007, 05:17 PM
What sort of mills are you guys using ?
would like to see a few pics if you have them handy.

Ianab
18th October 2007, 06:12 PM
What sort of mills are you guys using ?
would like to see a few pics if you have them handy.

I have an older model Peterson swingblade - chainsaw powerhead running the circle blade. Not as fast as the new ones, but it still cuts well :)

Some pics of it on this thread. Taking things from a tree into a finished blanket box.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=18314

Cheers

Ian

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=9720

DJ’s Timber
18th October 2007, 06:47 PM
I've got an older model Lucas 8" 20hp with a homemade slabbing attachment that takes the Lucas bar. Been a few years since I've had it running, planning on getting it up and running again late this year or early next year.

Don't have any pictures of it in action, didn't own a camera then.

BUNTA
23rd October 2007, 10:12 AM
I've got an older model Lucas 8" 20hp with a homemade slabbing attachment that takes the Lucas bar. Been a few years since I've had it running, planning on getting it up and running again late this year or early next year.

Don't have any pictures of it in action, didn't own a camera then.

Well fire it up & shoot some pics through
the longer you leave it the longer you will have to wait until you have heap of dry slabs.
:D

Arthur Dyason
18th November 2007, 08:54 AM
You could always buy a longer bar and modify your mill :whistling: :innocent:like I did for the boys at the mill to cut the huge Redgum log we cut a couple of years ago.

Which slabber have you got? Dedicated or attchment, can be done with the dedicated but not the attachment as there is not enough room.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24752&d=1149942876
We can do you a 96" bar on an EcoSaw which would slab that log with ease:D

question is would you want petrol or diesel powered hydraulics???

arthur