PDA

View Full Version : Just too far, wish it wasn't

Walnutty
15th October 2007, 01:49 PM
Hi there in the place that has the wood I'd like to get my hands on......

Just completed a great day of milling, the EBW slabs have all that ugly figure, again, edge to edge, end to end.

Wish the miles were drivable, swap'n out for some of yours would be the cats whiskers.

Cheers,

WN-

http://home.comcast.net/~walnutty/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html (http://home.comcast.net/%7Ewalnutty/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html)

"Photos"

RufflyRustic
15th October 2007, 02:20 PM
GeEEEEzZZ!!!!!

You've got walnut and YOU are Jealous of US????? :?:wink::?:cool:

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaate swapping some black walnut for Aussie timber.
Yeah, if only the shipping wasn't such a killer :(

Walnutty
15th October 2007, 02:51 PM
Hi there Ruffly,

Welp, I had the good fortune to enjoy a few pieces (furniture) expertly completed in some of your beautiful red and lustrous amber tones, I was shamefully hooked from that moment on, that was 35 years ago.

A few hundred board feet might get help me get over my 35 year old condition, but I hope not!:U

Maybe I could rent a submarine for a few months...perhaps an aqua truck.......a team of well behaved dolphins....

Cheers,

WN-

TTIT
15th October 2007, 03:08 PM
...............Just completed a great day of milling, the EBW slabs have all that ugly figure, again, edge to edge, end to end.

.........................Nice slabs Wal' :2tsup: - almost as nice as the Yarran I ripped into boards yesterday :; - does Walnut smell nice when you machine it??? (Yarran does :q )
T'would be an interesting trade if it weren't for customs - too much hassle with irradiation and so on:~

Walnutty
15th October 2007, 03:37 PM
Hey TTIT,

Ok, I'll add Yarran to the list! :wink: Another beautiful wood.

The pics don't do much for the slabs or the figure, it's a stunner when standing next to them.

As far as smell, no, not much to speak of when milling green, not "aromatic", as others certainly are. When dried however.....I can only work it (now), with a respirator and DC. The dust and oil shut me down almost as soon as a board touches a blade or a bit if I've forgotten the mask. Still love working it though.

Ahhh!! I JUST figured it out! All we have to do is build a bridge! Still have that Customs detail......

Cheers,

WN-

RufflyRustic
15th October 2007, 04:44 PM
Ahhh!! I JUST figured it out! All we have to do is build a bridge! Still have that Customs detail......

Cheers,

WN-

Until then, at least we have some pictures :)

BobL
15th October 2007, 08:00 PM
Great pics walnutty - any pics of the milling process?

Walnutty
16th October 2007, 12:26 AM
Hi BobL, thanks......welp, yes on the pics, real boring though, just a Lucas doing what a Lucas does, 20 minutes a pass, rotate in a sharp chain, another pass.....

Today will be the bandsaw mill "action", not quite as boring, but close.

Yep Ruffly, guess pics It'll have to be.:(

Cheers,

WN-

BobL
16th October 2007, 11:26 AM
Hi BobL, thanks......welp, yes on the pics, real boring though, . . . . .

I can look at milling pics all day long!

Walnutty
16th October 2007, 03:06 PM
Ok BobL,

Great milling day even though it was buckets of rain, non stop, not once.

Taking tomorrow off to get patched up, had a board get to me a bit, was a long day after that. :(

Raining as hard as it was, I didn't want to take the chance of breaking the camera (again), so I'll put up some milling pics on the next better day we mill.

Cheers,

WN-

PS. Think I could claim a slab or two as my "carry on"?:U

Walnutty
19th October 2007, 09:40 AM
Hey there BobL,

Welp, two minutes of a rain break, time and weather for 4 pics, winds are at 70-90 Klicks, short milling day.:((

Had to carve all the bark off, too many rocks. Squared up some quarters (from the Lucas faces) on the Woodmizer, going back at it in the AM, hope the weather improves.

WN-

TTIT
19th October 2007, 02:58 PM
Not only does he rub it in about the lovely bl00dy walnut but he has a dig about the bl00dy rain too!!!:o Wouldn't mind a bit of either if you can spare some Wal' :;:U

BobL
19th October 2007, 03:45 PM
Drooooooolll! ! . . . . . . Thanks for posting those picks - they just make me go weak at the knee's

Looks like you had to attack this with one with a CS freehand? Story?

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=58315

Is that some sort of "log turning foot thingo" poking through the base of the mill frame showing up in those other pics? Matilda's Mate was asking about that sort of thing a while back in teh other forum.

Walnutty
20th October 2007, 04:13 PM
Hey TTIT & BobL,

Welp TTIT, I know you folks are taking a beating on the lack of rain, looks a very serious issue for you folks for sure. After a few years, most people around here begin to grow webbing between the toes.

Yes BobL, had to go free hand CS on the center rip of the bottom half log, it was just too large for the bandsaw mill. As is was, these quarters were just squeaking through on the band mill. The Lucas can only make a maximum of an 8" and change (thickness) pass, and then theirs the kerf loss (9bf per pass at 24") and the (safe) on edge staging of the half log (6,000 lbs.), to get dialed in quarter sawn boards.......a few things. And yes, the grabber thigo, together with the ram arm that comes up and moves L-R, work wonders in precise positioning the log/cant.

When going after true QS, the bandmill has some advantages, wide slabbing territory is all Lucas. For what each can do, they compliment one another more than compete. Something very interesting came out of a recent discussion of the two saws, more about that later.....

It did stop raining for a short bit today, great milling day, found GOLD in one pass, never in a million years will it happen again........locket I think...1870 ish :2tsup:.

Only wished these boards were in the 100lb. range instead of the 200lb.+ when working solo, guess I'm sniveling, must be getting old.:U

Cheers,

WN-

m2c1Iw
20th October 2007, 05:51 PM
found GOLD in one pass, never in a million years will it happen again........locket I think...1870 ish :2tsup:.
WN-

WN, bit more explanation looks as though it (the locket) is locked inside straight grain from the pic huh. What a great find and oh yes good looking stack of wood you have there.
Cheers Mike
BTW bout 30deg and havn't had rain to speak of for 6 weeks here

lubbing5cherubs
20th October 2007, 09:17 PM
NICE WOOD. Got any pen blanks??? LOL NICE STUFF
TOni

TTIT
21st October 2007, 12:19 AM
Thats a seriously good looking stack of boards Wal' - I wish my Yarran would grow even half that big :B. Amazing finding that jewellery - intrigued as to how it got there :confuzzled: Best I've ever found is a nail - circa :just long enough to go rusty and hard to see :~:;