PDA

View Full Version : New Lathe

ozwinner
19th October 2003, 06:09 PM
Hi guys.
I just bought myself a Record wood lathe at a clearing sale today.
Its a Record DML 24X, 3 speed.
Has any one got any spare parts that would fit it, for sale?
You know face plate, live centre, etc.
Spindle size, 3/4" x 16 tpi.
Number 1 morse taper.
The lathe is brand new and I paid $140. Bargain or what?
Cheers, Allan :)

Red neck
19th October 2003, 09:01 PM
ozwinner

Bought a Record CL2 18X36 lathe under similar circumstance (not quite so cheap though) two or three years ago. I have found it to be an excellent lathe, built to high standards of workmanship, but like most things British, a tad old fashioned.

Parts in Australia are very hard to source, although I have had some success with Carbatec in Brisbane. In any event don’t bother with Record parts for items such as faceplates, tool rests and live centres. Again I sourced those items through Carbatec at a far better price than was being asked for the genuine article.

If you have need for a manual just e-mail Record in the UK, they are most helpful and will post one out promptly.

The Record is fitted with a bronze bearing as opposed to the roller types on most lathes these days. Some will tell you that the bronze bearing won’t last. I have found this to be a fallacy. The bearing does however require regular oiling (a couple of drops each session) for longevity and one proponent suggested that with care the bearing would last a lifetime.

The ¾ inch spindle is a little light-on if you are using the larger chuck jaws (Nova 135mm). Keep the speed low with large out-of-balance blanks until they are trued-up.

Both Vicmarc and Nova make ¾ x 16tpi inserts for their chucks.