PDA

View Full Version : We're off to Germany

neilb
17th October 2007, 12:44 AM
At long last we are off to Germany to visit the sister in law and family on Tuesday flying with Singapore Airlines and then Luthansa Airlines for 5 weeks. I havent been anywhere over there before and Im not too sure what to expect. I am looking forward to some german snags (I forget what yer call em over there ) and a few cold beers. Ive also arranged to meet one of our forumites who lives not far from where we'll be staying. :D

Anyone got any suggestions about what to see or do over there or what to look out for not to be ripped off as "tourists" ? We're doing a stop in Singapore for a few days also. They say that Singapore has changed dramatically since I was last there about 20 years ago. Would this be right ? :? No more cheapo bargains ?????

Neil.

woodbe
17th October 2007, 08:43 AM
If you're not sure what you want to do in Germany, I reckon you should snag the Lonely Planet guide for Germany and read through it for ideas. I haven't made it to Germany yet, but I bet I could find some interesting things to see and do. For starters, it's the home of Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Audi and VW, and I've heard that they all put on a memorable visit.

I haven't been to Singapore for 20+ years either, but I bet you're right about the dramatic change. You'll still find bargains, but most things don't have the heavy duty in Australia they used to have, so the differences are not as big as they used to be.

Enjoy the trip...

woodbe.

glock40sw
17th October 2007, 09:44 AM
G'day.
We spent 2 weeks touring through Germany in May.

Berlin. Outside the main train station, you can buy a ticket for the Yellow buses. They run around berlin and have stops at all the sights. You get off where you want to. and when you are ready, go to a yellow stop and just jump on another Yellow bus to go to the next place you want to see. We did this all day. There is also the river boats in Berlin that is very relaxing.

Wurzburg. You have to go to the Wurzburg castle. It is scarey that they could build these things by hand so long ago. It is a real eye opener.

Stuttgart. The BMW factory tour was great.

Hannover. The Very fast train ride to Berlin was different. 300kmh.

We crossed over to Austria (Innsbruk). very beautiful scenery. snow capped mountains. deep valleys etc.

I took 8 2gig CF cards for the pentax and filled the lot of them and had to buy 2 more.

The people are typical german. Arrogant. They can mostly speak english but some just plain refuse.

Money. The biggest problem we had was that virtually no place would take a credit card (visa, Mastercard, Amex) it was cash only. The banks will allow you to withdraw money from your bank account only if your bank account is linked to a debit card. ATMs are few and far between. And they are behind locked doors. You have to swipe your card to even open the doors to gain access to the ATM.

So, take plenty of Euros. Also do the money exchange before leaving Germany. Australian Banks will only exchange Euro notes. They do not exchange coin (ask me how i know:o).

The roadside servos are large like our truckstops only larger. You have to pay to use the dunny. You have a ticket vending machine. you put 50c in and it gives you a ticket. when you are finished you can take the ticket to the cashier and they will give you 50c off the cost of the things you are buying.

I found hand signals work very well with the people that didn't speak english.

Learn "spreken zee english ?" do you speak english?

"ich nine spreken zee deutsch" I do not speak german.

Pete J
18th October 2007, 01:02 AM
Add: Munich - capital of Bavaria. Impressive. Take the train from there to Berchtesgarten up in the southern Alpine area. Se the eagles nest which was built for Hitler as a retreat. Hire a BMW (Bavarian Motor works HQ Munich) drive to Salzburg (Austria) Slide down the wooden beams into the salt mines etc. etc.

I didn't find any german person arrogant - they were all delightful -luck of the draw - perhaps?

You can't do it all!

Honorary Bloke
18th October 2007, 01:53 AM
I didn't find any german person arrogant - they were all delightful -luck of the draw - perhaps?

You can't do it all!

Right on both counts from my experience. Most of my travel was to Hamburg--the downtown is delightful, many elegant shoppes. Boat tour on the river. And there's always the reeperbahn in the St. Pauli district. :oo::D Interesting culturally because you have sex showplaces right next to a Macca's or a legitimate theatre. Strange mixture.

I also found Germany to be safe as houses, but maybe I was just lucky? Have fun. It is a great place IMO.:)

neilb
19th October 2007, 01:14 AM
Thanks for the input. We will be staying in Munich with the sister in laws family :C and they have a caravan , so we will be doing some travelling around the countryside. I will get the map out and have a look at where you'se have mentioned and it will give me something to work on. The train trips sound good. :2tsup:
Neil.

ian
19th October 2007, 01:32 AM
accepting that I'm probably spelling them all wrong ...

Duechers Museum in Munich - has a great section on the history of flight
Neufenstein - fairy tale castle you see it on all the posters
Linderhof - another castle
"the Romantic road" takes a few days including the stops

Gra
19th October 2007, 09:03 AM
accepting that I'm probably spelling them all wrong ...

Duechers Museum in Munich - has a great section on the history of flight
Neufenstein - fairy tale castle you see it on all the posters
Linderhof - another castle
"the Romantic road" takes a few days including the stops

I second that list and include the BMW museum. though be warned the dueches museum will take DAYS if not weeks. It is huge and amazing. They have the full U1 sub in the basement, their car section is huge as well.

I also recommend the town of Rothenburg. it is a complete walled town. Very pretty you can spend a couple of days just looking around at the old houses and shops within the walls (one of the bakeries has a cheap B & B)

Enjoy it is a very pretty area of the country

joe greiner
19th October 2007, 02:53 PM
I think the Neuschwanstein castle (the one in all the posters) is in Fussen, SW of Munich; the castle was never actually finished. I'd also recommend the parent's castle nearby.

Rothenburg has a scale model of the town in one of the visitor centres. If you go there, have a look at it.

Regarding the language, many Germans studied English in high school, and know it about as well as any of us know the German we might have studied there; i.e. not so good. I found it best to ask "Sprechen sie eine kleine Englisch?" (Do you speak A LITTLE English) - less of a challenge, and more likely to elicit usable information. Also, get rid of the phrase book. We knew directions to our hotel from the train station, but we arrived by car. So, I asked someone (from the phrase book) "Can you direct me to the train station?" Naturally, they answered in German. No help at all. My blank stare encouraged them to re-answer in English. Another trick is to make a great show of looking up individual words in a German-English dictionary. Even those who don't speak English will likely play along.

A road trip along the Rhine has magnificent scenery.

Joe

Honorary Bloke
19th October 2007, 09:42 PM
Wait! Don't throw away that phrase book! Just don't use it to ask questions. Use it to makle statements that don't require an answer.

"Table for two, please."

"I'll have the Wienerschnitzel."

:D:)

K>60
25th October 2007, 11:28 PM
Of all the countries that I have visited in Europe over the past nine years I would have to say that Germany is my favorite.The Lonely Planet was very helpful especially for places to go, how to get there, what to eat and where to stay. I found the people very friendly and helpful. One tip I would suggest is to get a German or Eurail train Pass before you leave. It will cut down the hassle of car parking, driving on the "wrong" side of the road, and you can have some of the famous bier without worrying about the limit.
I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself there, have fun!

Keith:2tsup:

MurrayD99
26th October 2007, 08:19 AM
As the others said, esp Rothenburg and Wurtzburg. Check this out http://www.romanticroad.com/ This is a great drive. Munich - Hofbrauhaus. Have one for me. I worked in Neu Isenberg for 6 months - got on well with the Germans. Nice place.

neilb
26th October 2007, 07:43 PM
we've arrived in germany in one piece and are getting used to the cooler weather. Its VERY different to what we're used to back home in QLD. The scenery is stunning but the days are short as its not light untill about 8am. and its good bed weather.

I will be ringing Damien soon to attend the first german 'Austrailain Woodworking Fest' - (beer and snag conference) :D Im glad we have our sister in law to show us around because theres no signs in english and they all drive on THAT other side of the road over here. (scary with NO speed limits on certain roads !!!!!):C
Anyhow the beer over here is real good and we're settling in fine.:2tsup:
Neil.

zathras
27th October 2007, 10:02 AM
Ja bier ist gut :2tsup: :2tsup:

No doubt you now also know Oktoberfest finishes at the start of October. :(

Once you learn Kartoffel is not the waste parts of a hilderbeast, reading menus becomes a bit less stressful too.

I spent 2 months up Dusseldorf way for work one year, it slowly grows on you the language. They certainly enjoy their days off.
It is a long way up there from Munchen, but I can highly recommend the Zum Schlussel hotel. Very nice drop.

BTW, in hotels be wary of "harb n harb" half beer, half soft drink. :o

Christopha
27th October 2007, 01:54 PM
don't Mention The War!!!!

glock40sw
27th October 2007, 05:35 PM
don't Mention The War!!!!
Unless you get a real pain in the arrse waiter.
Then you can remind him Who won the War...:2tsup: