PDA

View Full Version : Stubby action

Caveman
17th October 2007, 02:13 AM
G'day all,

:2tsup:My Stubby lathe finally arrived late last week after a lengthy wait.
I'm sure it's the first Stubby to ever set foot in this part of the world - I know there are a few on the southern tip of this continent but certainly none this far north.

Was well worth the wait and the definately worth saving up for - it's a marvelous piece of engineering and exceptionally well design with amazing versatility.

Well - it arrived home at about 19:00 after a hectic journey from the big smoke, snarled up in traffic as is the norm these days :((- they're finally upgrading the main road to a dual carriage way - this should only have been done 10-15 years ago! I only start unwinding when the wheels leave the tarmac and hit the dust for the last 30 minutes or so.
Took quite some time to clean off all the protective anti-rust gunk - sure is some sticky stuff they use:o, but did a good job - no rust in sight despite sitting on the sea for a couple months.
Assembled it all late into the night before giving it a spin next morning:

Started off with a couple of biggish bowls from East African Camphor (20"), the local common acacia (xanthophloea) (14") and a mahogany bowl (12") that had dried out after roughing out - re-turned them and finished them off before the real test drive. (These have all been oiled with BLO and will be buffed with beeswax once the oil has dried.)

The real test drive was with a +-60kg:oo: lump of freshly felled Albizia schimperiana that needed to be roughed out. Definately a first for me to try something this size, but sure was fun. The finished roughout was still a serious effort to lift! Pictures below in the next thread.

Looking forward to putting in plenty more time at the lathe.

Caveman
17th October 2007, 02:16 AM
Here's the stubby pics:

Caveman
17th October 2007, 02:25 AM
After the tackling the big piece I went back to a few smaller bits:

Another Acacia xanthophloea (12"), a mango platter (13") and a bowl from acacia polyacantha (8") - a very different shape for me - not sure I like the shape all that much - maybe would have been better without a foot??? (As with the other bowls, these have only been oiled and will be beeswaxed later on).

The mango had some real nice 'ripple' patterning - what's the correct terminology when refering to this - is it chatoyance? If not what is chatoyance???

rsser
17th October 2007, 07:04 AM
Great pieces Andy and congrats on the Stubby. Looks like you've already got used to 'wading' around the lathe.

The mango platter is superb.

Chatoyance means iridescence and yes it looks to have some; the figure is called fiddleback AFAIK.

I like the bowl but it's not the foot I'd change; how about a more flowing line up to rim so that the side profile looks more like an 'S'?

hughie
17th October 2007, 07:41 AM
Andy,

Well thats some serious lathe and some serious lathe work. :2tsup:

Like the rim treatment on first lot of pics. Mango with its fiddleback is excellent. Great work out for the new toy.

Musta set you back a few shillings. :U

TTIT
17th October 2007, 09:15 AM
Well you have been havin' fun haven't ya! :2tsup:Some very nice output there Andy - very classy look to your platters with the rim work. Looks like you haven't stopped since you got the Stubby home - totally understandable - creating that sea of curlies is a feeling that's hard to beat :U. Congrats on your new best friend - enjoy!

(Note to self - must find something green to play with when I finish all these damned eggs!)

reeves
17th October 2007, 09:32 AM
congrats mate, awesome lathes, looks like lots of fun iwth that African wood...hoot hoot !

DJ’s Timber
17th October 2007, 10:04 AM
Congrats on the new lathe :2tsup:, looks like it's well settled in now with all the shavings all over it :U

Some very nice bowls and platters there mate

BernieP
17th October 2007, 01:22 PM
G'Day Andy

Congrats on serious toy, and thanks for sharing pics:2tsup:

Cheers
Bernie

theyoungster
17th October 2007, 03:33 PM
nice work always love the big stuff

bryce

Caveman
17th October 2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks guy's for the comments.

-Chatoyance means iridescence and yes it looks to have some; the figure is called fiddleback AFAIK.

I like the bowl but it's not the foot I'd change; how about a more flowing line up to rim so that the side profile looks more like an 'S'?

Ern - Must have got lucky with that batch of mango - picked it up on the roadside - seems that all of it has some fiddleback from what I've turned so far.

Have loads more of that acacia polyacantha so will try your suggestion - all part of the learning process I guess.

Andy,

Well thats some serious lathe and some serious lathe work. :2tsup:

Musta set you back a few shillings. :U

Asante Hughie - you're not wrong there about the shillings - about 69 to the Aus$ - not as bad as the Zim$:U.

Looks like you haven't stopped since you got the Stubby home - totally understandable - creating that sea of curlies is a feeling that's hard to beat :U. Congrats on your new best friend - enjoy!

(Note to self - must find something green to play with when I finish all these damned eggs!)

Thanks Vern - yup - have taken a few days off work to get fully aquainted - wouldn't want to start off on the wrong footing!

The power/torque compared to my old lathe is amazing - makes turning green stuff a real pleasure - no more continual 'stalling'.

ss_11000
17th October 2007, 07:01 PM
Great work Andy. Congrats on your new toy:2tsup:

dai sensei
17th October 2007, 07:44 PM
Great work Andy, love the figure and the shapes.

Which beast did you end up getting 600/750/1000? Just had the Melbourne WWW show and they had some really good prices on the Stubby. Wish I had room to fit one in.

Calm
17th October 2007, 09:07 PM
Verry nice work Andy.:2tsup:

Yes after having a go on Erns "Stubby" i am envious:2tsup::2tsup::D

Harry72
17th October 2007, 09:13 PM
Congrats Andy, a fine machine those Stubbys.

Caveman
17th October 2007, 09:18 PM
Thanks guy's.

Which beast did you end up getting 600/750/1000?
Neil I ended up going for the S1000.

Fredo
17th October 2007, 09:41 PM
Your stubby will certainly enhance the turning experience. The stability and smooth, effortless power will boost your confidence no end. Beautiful wood and a great effort so far Andy. Press on.

Fredo

Tony Morton
17th October 2007, 11:08 PM
Hi Andy
From another man with a stubby congratulations .looks like you have given it a good workout great timber and great work.

Cheers Tony

Calm
17th October 2007, 11:15 PM
Hi Andy
From another man with a stubby congratulations .looks like you have given it a good workout great timber and great work.

Cheers Tony

I think this thread is becoming a "STUBBY" gloat :D those who have ....

No i am sure this is becoming a gloat:2tsup::2tsup::D

But then again some of us could be jealous.:C:C:~

OGYT
18th October 2007, 11:54 AM
I ain't jealous, but I am happy for you! You've been givin' that Stubby a good workout... really beautiful timber and some nice bowls. I really like the one with the wide, flat rim. Exceptional!!! :D