PDA

View Full Version : Wireless home phone

chrisb691
17th October 2007, 08:15 PM
Okay already.....I know this is the computer section. However, there is a connection, and I'm reasonably sure that there's someone out there that can answer this query.

I'm getting a lot of static, on my wireless home phone system. As it's a 2.4Ghz system, I'm guessing the interference is coming from my home wireless network.

I've been looking around to replace my phone system, and it seems that a couple of options are, 900Mhz, and 5.8Ghz. Can anyone advise as to pros & cons for the 2 frequency ranges.

My rational for change, is that being clear of the wireless network frequency, should eliminate this as an interference source.

Groggy
17th October 2007, 08:25 PM
Chris, before you change systems, check to see if there is another channel you can use. Some systems allow you to switch channels to avoid interference.

Ianab
17th October 2007, 08:28 PM
You can also try changing the channel that your wireless router is using. There should be an option in the wireless setup section of the router to select a different channel. It will still be in the 2.4ghz range, just a couple of channels up or down.

Worth trying anyway :wink:

Cheers

Ian

chrisb691
17th October 2007, 09:22 PM
Chris, before you change systems, check to see if there is another channel you can use. Some systems allow you to switch channels to avoid interference.
Thanks Groggy, the handsets have have a soft channel swap in them, and sometimes it makes a difference, but it's only good for the life of the phone call.

You can also try changing the channel that your wireless router is using. There should be an option in the wireless setup section of the router to select a different channel. It will still be in the 2.4ghz range, just a couple of channels up or down.

Worth trying anyway :wink:
Cheers
Ian
Thanks Ian, I've tried ranging 2 up & 2 down but ir really doesn't seem to help long term. There's also another wireless network across the street from me, which I can se in my network list, so it's probably contributing to the problem.

q9
17th October 2007, 11:41 PM
Um...have you tried the simple stuff first...like turning off the wireless router/computers then making a call...? Then start turning things on one at a time to see what happens?

Pusser
17th October 2007, 11:56 PM
If none of the above works, you can switch to 5.8. I selected 5.8 to avoid interference and it works like a charm. As far as inteference on 2.4 goes, it is alleged by my neighbour that microwaves and those gadgets you get to retransmit foxtel or other audio visual systems also cause interference in the 2.4 band.
Pusser

Master Splinter
18th October 2007, 12:18 AM
Microwave ovens, most of the common wireless dodads (routers, doorbells, cordless phones, a/v senders, alarm systems, bluetooth enabled stuff, wireless game controllers) all share the 2.4 gigahertz spectrum and may cause interference with each other.

I've also found that some of the spark igniters for gas central heating will produce a burst of R/F interference that will cause my PC to drop a wireless connection.

The 5.8 gigahertz spectrum is designated for digital devices only (however some stores are selling analog devices that work on 5.8 gig). Only difference is that the 5.8 gig spectrum isn't as crowded as the 2.4 gig part...yet.

I'm sticking to wired connections from now on, thanks.

DavidG
18th October 2007, 10:26 AM
I have a 2.4GHz wireless network and a 2.4GHz wireless security camera.

To avoid problems I bought a uniden 5.8GHz digital phone system (3 handsets).

No problems, no noise, even next to the laptop.

Very happy.:U

Krazee
18th October 2007, 02:28 PM
Chris,

I am assuming your internet is ADSL. Do you have any other phones in the house part from the cordless phone that is noisy? If so have you checked whether they are also noisy?
The reason I ask is that I have had problems with noise generated from the ADSL modem(or possibly Telstra exchange). Originally thought it was a wireless problem, eliminated that, then thought it was a line fault. Still not permanently fixed but when it recurs I disconnect the ADSL modem at the filter, reconnect it and the noise disappears.

chrisb691
18th October 2007, 07:01 PM
I have a 2.4GHz wireless network and a 2.4GHz wireless security camera.

To avoid problems I bought a uniden 5.8GHz digital phone system (3 handsets).

No problems, no noise, even next to the laptop.

Very happy.:U
Been eying off one of those packs on ebay, and am very glad to get the positive feedback on them. Thanks.

Chris,

I am assuming your internet is ADSL. Do you have any other phones in the house part from the cordless phone that is noisy? If so have you checked whether they are also noisy?
The reason I ask is that I have had problems with noise generated from the ADSL modem(or possibly Telstra exchange). Originally thought it was a wireless problem, eliminated that, then thought it was a line fault. Still not permanently fixed but when it recurs I disconnect the ADSL modem at the filter, reconnect it and the noise disappears.
I'm on cable, so the modem shouldn't be a factor.

Thanks for all the resposes. I've decided to go with the 5.8Ghz digital phone set. I'll let you know if it solves the problem, once I get it in place.

DavidG
18th October 2007, 10:33 PM
Just checked EBay.
Uniden 7855 + 2.
Got a better price from the Good Guys here in ACT than it is selling for on EBay so it may pay to do a little pricing around.....:;

Tex79
19th October 2007, 09:40 AM
I'm not sure that I'm on the right path here but have you plugged a in normal phone to make sure the static isn't coming from the phone line. Also, do you have an inline filter between the phone line, phone and router/modem connection? If you don't then it's very likely your getting noise through the line.
I have a 2.4Ghz phone and wireless network running and have never had any issues with any external interference. Maybe I've been lucky.
Good luck.

Cheers,

Evan