PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use a "dirt dog"?

Eowyn
18th October 2007, 01:35 PM
I was rather intrigued by the robotic dirt sweeper that I saw at the Timber and Working with Wood Show.

I'ld like to hear from anybody who has one. A PM would be fine.

I understand its unneccessary - a broom and a vacuum are much cheaper! - but..... well..... if it actually does pick up the dust from the concrete floor in the shed, then it would a have a place in my laziness.

If it is suitable for the hard timber floors in the house, then even better.

silentC
18th October 2007, 01:46 PM
We have the iRobot Roomba, which is basically the same thing but intended for indoors. It is quite good on hard floors, not as good on carpets. The dust compartment is small, so you need to empty it often. If you were using it in the shed, it wouldn't be much good for sweeping up piles of sawdust. But if you ran it at the end of each day in the shed I suppose it would keep it clean. I just look at the piles of dust that I sweep up in my shed from time to time. One of these things would choke. You also need to pick up anything that it might get stuck on, such as cords, boards and things on the floor that it can ride up on, cover sheets, tarps etc. It'd be a bit like having a toddler in the shed. Personally, I think it would be more of a nuisance than anything else, but it depends on how tidy you keep things.

fenderbelly
18th October 2007, 05:57 PM
I use an old Victa garden vac in the shed. It doesn't pick up screws or nails but it handles the dust and sawdust ok.

weisyboy
18th October 2007, 06:57 PM
would not be any good in my shed the floor is coverd in junk and it wouldn't handle the sawdust. i get a trailer load (piled up 6x6 trailer) atleast every 2 days when i sweep up.