PDA

View Full Version : first chisel....which size?

macpiper
18th October 2007, 02:41 PM
hello all.

i've recently started woodworking and am ready to get my first (ever) chisel. basically it's my first real woodworking tool (aside from the usual household tools). i've looked about in forums such as this, and some advice has really hit home. especially, the people that suggested to other people to buy a chisel, some stones and to work your way up from there.

this makes sense to me, but i have no idea which size to get. any suggestions? i think i saw somewhere that a 15mm is the way to go, but thought i'd get some advice first.

thanks!

Woodjoint
19th October 2007, 02:25 AM
If it's your first chisel it really doesn't make any difference because you'll be buying all the others you need in the future anyway. Just get one and learn how to sharpen it because this is just the begining of many many more you'll buy.:)

Charlie

macpiper
19th October 2007, 02:32 AM
thanks! i was wondering if there was one chisel size that people tended to use more than others, which would make the first purchase "count" more.

now to figure out what waterstones to get......so much to figure out, all the time in the world.....however patience is another thing :doh:

Woodjoint
19th October 2007, 02:38 AM
Don't overthink it.:;

Charlie

Des.K.
19th October 2007, 09:25 AM
I agree with Charlie, you're going to end up getting them all so it really doesn't matter that much. If pressed, though, I would suggest for your very first chisel a 19mm (3/4 inch). The reason being that it has enough width to give you reasonable bevel stability when learning how to sharpen it (if free-hand), and it's a good general-use size.

But also as Charlie said, don't overthink it.

Des

rod1949
19th October 2007, 10:36 AM
I appreciate its subject to your finances, buying one only or one at a time will be in the long term the most expensive way. Buying a set from 6mm up to 25mm would be cheaper.

By the way an American talking in metric, whats the go?

Woodjoint
19th October 2007, 10:49 AM
By the way an American talking in metric, whats the go?

Some of us go both ways.:U

Charlie

Pam
19th October 2007, 11:19 AM
Normally I suggest buying chisels as you need them; but in this case you have no chisels, so I'd suggest getting a very small set, maybe four chisels: 1/4" (6mm), 3/8" (9-10mm), 5/8" (15mm), and 7/8" (21mm).

Pam

macpiper
19th October 2007, 02:11 PM
thank you for the help. i tried to order a 5/8" / 15mm chisel today, but kuroiwa san is apparantly in japan for a couple weeks. :C .....must......remember.......patience. :U

no idea why i used metrics before. can i use temporary insanity as an excuse? :U