PDA

View Full Version : Nail Gun Depth of Drive

Fantapantz
20th October 2003, 06:05 PM
Went into Builders Hire in Slacks Creek and told the guy I wanted a nail gun for attaching masonite to chipboard. He hired me a duofast coil gun and sold me the 27mm ring grip nails and said he had used it for the same thing.

When I used it at 90psi it drove the nails right through the masonite. To get the nails flush the pressure had to be down to about 70psi, at this pressure the gun was inconsistent and drove the nails either 5mm below or above the surface aswell as flush. The gun has no depth adjustment.

When I returned it he said that my compressor/regulator must be playing up. We then got into a serious debate (as I pushed for a refund, cause it didn't do what he said it would), and the outcome could roughly be translated as 'bad luck it's your equipment thats playing up'.

Now, I know that my equipment isn't playing up so anyone got any advice on the cause of a nailgun behaving in such a way?

DarrylF
20th October 2003, 09:29 PM
Sounds to me like trying to use a sledge hammer to drive tacks :)

I've used my small narrow crown staple gun to do the same very nicely. It's only a cheapie (about $120 from memory), but does the job well for the times I need it.

Daniel
20th October 2003, 10:51 PM
See if you can get a spacer to fit onto the front of the gun, my duofast framer has a spacer attachment that allows me to flush nail when it is attached.

That might be worth a try, if you want I will post a photo of this item.

Daniel