PDA

View Full Version : hare and Forbes annual sale (Sydney)

Caliban
20th October 2003, 07:08 PM
Hi Guys
The annual H & F saleis on mid November. I'm in the market for a lathe and a dust extraction unit a jointer. Are their products worth buying or are they cheap for a reason? The incentive of even greater savings is very tempting, woodwork is only my hobby, not my livelihood. Their stuff is probably Chinese does this mean crap, or is it OK???? Any advice before I part with the hard earned is welcome.

Dean
20th October 2003, 07:38 PM
Their Metalmaster 16 speed 1HP drill press at $299 (regular price) is a great buy. Solid machine that is perfect for both woodworking and metalworking. Most of their other gear would be of the same quality or even the same models as the rebadged carbatec/sherwood type stuff etc.

kenmil
20th October 2003, 08:02 PM
I recently bought their 16" Bandsaw, and it appears to be a damn strong piece of machinery. So far, so good.

Sturdee
20th October 2003, 08:52 PM
The jointer and disk sander I bought from them, although cheap, are of very good quality and in Melbourne their service is excellent.

Also see http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?s=&postid=34381#post34381

Peter.

Caliban
20th October 2003, 09:26 PM
Thanks Guys
It's reassuring to know that therre are some good guys out there.
I'll travel the six hours down there to have a look at their sale, thanks for your advice.
Jim

DarrylF
20th October 2003, 09:57 PM
Jim,

The Hare & Forbes sale is usually worthwhile - went last year. It's usually busy as hell :)

Lathe wise I'm pretty sure they carry the MC900 and MC1100 with their own badge on them (do a search for previous threads on these lathes). At the sale they usually have a bunch of good specials on all sorts of things.

Making that sort of a trip you'd probably want to make a day of it I guess. It's easy to get to Carbatec, Trend Timbers and to Henry Bros Saws from Hare & Forbes - did all 4 myself last year. Carbatec closes first and is furthest South, so I'd start there - checking prices on your shopping list there before you head to the sale would be helpful.

Wayne Davy
20th October 2003, 11:29 PM
Jim,

Like Dean, I have their Floor Drill Press and find it great value for money. I also bought their BP300 Bandsaw at the Bris sale and absolutely love it. Not as deep a throat as a traditional 14" but way more cut depth.

As for their Lathes, as Darryl says, they have their versions of the MC900 and MC1100 and they look fine. I have the Carbatec MC900 and I cannot tell the diff. I have always found H&F very helpful at the Bris shop and it sounds like they are the same in all their shops.

Happy shopping and make sure you take a Ute or Trailer ;)

col2
20th October 2003, 11:47 PM
Jim

I've had the H&F WL18 - their version of the MC900 - since January this year, and used it regularly. A few of us have posted to previous threads about it - a search should find them.

cheers

Colin

Jim Grant
29th October 2003, 07:24 PM
Guys,
Can anyone tell me if either Hare and Forbes or Herless Machinery have their own website or online brochure etc. I've searched the Internet but have come up blank.

Sturdee
29th October 2003, 08:04 PM
Jim,

Herless Machinery has a website, here is their URL.

http://www.herless.com.au/herlessmach/default.asp.

Regards,

Peter.

AlexS
29th October 2003, 09:31 PM
Hare & Forbes reckon their web site will be up "real soon now" - about a month's time.

Their sale runs 13-16th November.

Jim Grant
29th October 2003, 11:49 PM
Thanks very much for the info. It's much appreciated.

BigPop
10th November 2003, 12:54 PM
Hovo,
I was going to go to the Hare and Forbes Annual sale also on Thursday but went over to the new Gasweld store they have opened here in Newcastle today and got a MC-1100 lathe for $375 and a 16 speed Pedestal Drill Press for $269. They have some good specials on at the moment and have now saved me a trip to Sydney.