PDA

View Full Version : Veneering in a boat?

Wild Dingo
19th October 2007, 02:08 AM
Gidday all
Now apart from researching Crest Im still gathering gear for a smaller build... yeah yeah make yer friggin mind up yer wally I know I get told every day :roll:

ANYWAYS!!

What Im wondering is... okay a bloke gets his ply for the baulkheads and say said bloke doesnt want to paint the internal baulkheads but would rather veneer them in another timber... you blokes with me?... rightio then so what glue would a bloke use to do this?

Im thinking of something like having the cabin sides done in Bubinga and cabin top in Hickory with something like black Walnut for accents for the inside and outside some Rosewood to enlighten the cabin over the hopefully teak deck :2tsup: ...yeah right hahahahhahahaa ooh gawd Shane you do have some delusions :doh: :U

Now its okay I can take the abuse but really what glue would be best... remember that its going to be slathered in poxy on the inside and fibreglug and poxy on the outside

Im working through this so help me out here blokes!!... and no Ive not given up on Crest Im working through it... as well as working through a smaller build... as well as working through the house issues... as well as working through the family issues.. as well as... okay I think you get what I mean :;

But these would be the largest panels of veneering I will have done so Id sorta like the veneer to stay bloody put after I bung em on... mmm gotta get a veneer press eh... okay I gotta visit Carbatex at some stage anyways so thats now on the list

Cheers
Shane

PS... a part of staying sane is the ability to create and forsee the things that may happen which you really would like to happen but know probably wont but you may as well look into just in case... its also a wonderful way to enlighten the mind to the potentials of life!! :2tsup:

Lewy the Fly
20th October 2007, 04:47 PM
The best way is to have the veneer laid up on the ply by your local board manufacturer, the glue will not be marine grade, but will still be water proof and ok inside a boat. The trouble is getting it flat and with the thickness of modern day veneers there are no second chances. You can have veneer laid up on a paper backing or 1.5mm ply which can then be contact glued but I would not recomend it in a boat, we use it in the joinery industry as a last resort, usually on tight curved work.

Good luck

Lewy

jmk89
20th October 2007, 06:27 PM
Shane

I reckon the veneering should be done with whatever poxy you use for the construction. Those poxies are great for laminating and I would have thought that, so long as you can get even pressure on the Ply/veneer sandwich, would be great on the job. And that will be really waterproof too.

I see Lewy's point about doing the veneering before installation - whether you DIY or get someone else to do it, doing it first and then installing would have to be much easier than the other way.

Good luck (esp with making up your mind)

jerryc
21st October 2007, 06:20 PM
shane

I have successfully built panels and locker doors for boats by veneering teak veneer over exterior grade plywood. The method I use is one that was discussed a few years back in FWW.

Basically you use a cross linked pva glue which is brushed onto your ground work and the veneer and allowed to dry. Then you take an ordinary domestic iron and iron the veneer to the ground.

It works and is waterproof enough for interior work. The first boat on which I used this method I sold five or six years ago and the owner is still very happy. My present boat had new locker doors made by this method about four years ago.

I'll photograph them in the next day or so so you can see how well they have stood up to sun and damp.

I've not gone into much detail about the method of applying veneer but I'd be happy to research the article and/or give a more detailed description of the method

Jerry

jerryc
21st October 2007, 06:53 PM
shane

Old age is a bugger. I did forget to warn you about using contact adhesive. Problem with the stuff is that it creeps and it's not unknown for a beautiful join between two veneers to open up.
Also ( this was not a use with wood it's true but the principle holds.) I used a spray on contact to attach a material -foss- as an interior lining over fibreglass in a boat. Ordinary summer heat (Victoria) was enough to affect the bond and the material peeled away. I know spray on is different to the tinned goop but just illustrating how careful you should be.

Jerry