PDA

View Full Version : Building something for the Lady Advice???

joallen001
19th October 2007, 02:24 AM
I am wanting to build something for my girlfriend for christmas. I want some type of standing piece and it will be stained for now maybe painted in the future. I guess I am somewhat looking for a bookcase but she likes the staggered shelf look. I looked through the pics online but could not find any in this style. I want the piece to have some amount of detail but not to much considering this is my first time. Any ideas, suggestions, pics? This seems like a great forum with a lot of good input. This is my first time visiting the site. Thanks

munruben
19th October 2007, 10:52 AM
When I first started making pieces of furniture, book cases etc, I got ideas from visiting various furniture stores and copying something I liked. You can use a feature you might like from one design and incorporate it into another design you liked from something else you saw. You can mix a few designs together and get something really nice. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.:)

joallen001
19th October 2007, 03:06 PM
What about some type of blue print?

wheelinround
19th October 2007, 06:34 PM
What about some type of blue print?

do a google search plenty of plans or even do a search on here for bookcase.

RufflyRustic
19th October 2007, 07:30 PM
Here's another couple of ideas you might find helpful.

We get a lot of advertising brochures in newspapers and the letterbox here in Oz. (Fondly called junk mail)

I find a few of my ideas come from these junk mailings, especially from the furniture shops.

As for a staggered bookcase. You could build one slimline bookcase and then attach a second one to one side, which has the shelves offset compared to the first. You could even plan ahead and use the centre divider instead doubling up the centre support.

Cheers
Wendy