PDA

View Full Version : hardwood flooring over yellowtounge

basil
21st October 2003, 12:40 AM
Hi,
I am planing to "owner build" our house soon and would like some advice on the floor construction. We want "Tassie Oak" flooring throughout the house on stumps, but want to make the flooring as quiet as possible as we have young children. I have been suggested to use "yellow tongue" flooring, then get it sanded dead flat, then glue and nail the hardwood flooring on. Another chippy has told us that the glue will squeak between the two woods? Now I’m confused, can anyone please advise which is correct or if another way of noise suppression is better. (FYI we are asthmatic so we cannot have carpet ).

many thanks

Theva
21st October 2003, 08:22 PM
Basil,

Nice pic.

Try this link and check out "timber sound control" documents.

Timber Sound Control Doc's (http://www.timber.org.au/Timber_Manual/ProductsPropertiesandPerformance.htm)

Large files, 7 Meg total. Heaps of useful info and design suggestions for owner builder.

Re your questions, both are correct. Two layers of wood flooring will reduce sound. But there are more economical ways of achieving this. Common construction type glues will (ultimately) give up under constant movement and will start squeaking.

GOOD LUCK ;)

Regards,

Theva

basil
22nd October 2003, 10:58 PM
Thanks Theva the documents will be very useful.

The Timber sound doc's mentioned a few ways to control the noise movement from a floor underlay but don’t mention any brand names, can you suggest any to kick start my investigation?

Also any brand names of glue I should look at if I do go down the yellow tongue / Tassie oak way?

many thanks again for your help!

Theva
25th October 2003, 06:32 PM
Basil,

Well, If you want to go that way then speak to Dunlopflooring guys. They make undelays and flooring adhesives.

Word of cauction: This method is normaly used with floating floors. Not aware of any 19mm T&G flooring being laied this way.

You may want to do further research.

For a single story house, 19mm hardwood timber flooring on 450 joist & 1200 bearer spacings is not noisy. Softwoods, baltic or cypress pine is a different story.

Good luck.

Regards,

Theva

soundman
26th October 2003, 11:23 PM
why not look at one of the floating floor systems.

Big River Timbers (Norply) do a australian hardwood ply floating floor system in a selection of surface timbers.

Or if you are adventurous sand & varnish the chip board!???
Ive seen a couple of dance floors done this way. People won't believe when they are told what it is. Looks like cork.
Don't expect the misus to be keen though.

Sime
28th October 2003, 02:31 PM
A mate of mine just used chipboard as the underlay in sheets throughout his extension, then he laid beautiful recycled floorboards on top of that. Looks great - very solid - and no squeeks.